Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> on 2015/06/20 11:05:19 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Shared Utils version 0.8

Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1 (binding): Karl Heinz Marbaise, Kristian Rosenvold, Jason van Zyl, Hervé
Boutemy

I will promote the artifacts to the central repo.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Shared Utils version 0.8

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
> Maybe CMS commits in SVN on the same in the
> background, but if it does then I can do the same in svn even better.
yes

> Ideas?
I tried to explain it in a simple way and with a figure in
http://maven.apache.org/developers/website/deploy-maven-website.html

the main thing is to understand that the CMS is an addition of 3 parts/steps:

1. online editing ("CMS edit"): here, like you found, you can edit on your
local machine and commit, and you'll get exact same result

2. buildbot (could be called "CMS build"): launched automatically when source
svn is modified (be it by CMS  or local edit + commit), result (html content)
is immediately visible in http://maven.staging.apache.org/

3. CMS publish: when you hit https://cms.apache.org/maven/publish, html
content is copied from staging area to production

Perhaps you hit publish before buildbot published staging content, I don't
really know what went wrong.

Buildbot takes something like 30 seconds to build and stage
And CMS publish takes a few seconds (now that we don't use extpaths.txt any
more)

I hope these explanations will help avoid CMS seen as magic black box.

IMHO, if we didn't have the staging step, then require "CMS publish" action,
everything would be more natural = publish html content when source is changed

If we agree on this, I suppose we should be able to discuss with infra to drop
this staging feature that is just not natural IMHO for our process

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Tibor,

Hm...neiter the staging site (http://maven.staging.apache.org/shared/)
nor the original site http://maven.apache.org/shared/ show a change...

 > Can you show me what you updated, maybe I should do it next time.

You can do this by updating the content here (checking out via Subversion):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk

there you can update the shared page:

content/apt/shared/index.apt

After updating and commiting it will take a while which you can observe
here:

http://ci.apache.org/builders/maven-site-staging/

If you take a look for example here:

http://ci.apache.org/builders/maven-site-staging/builds/370

under "Steps and Logfiles:" the link "Compile stdio" you can see if the
compilation of the site has correctly worked ...

http://ci.apache.org/builders/maven-site-staging/builds/370/steps/compile/logs/stdio

and the link "shell stdio" will show the publishing step on the staging
site (maven.staging.apache.org)...

Afterwards you need publish the state from staging to production site:

https://cms.apache.org/maven/publish

The whole process is described here:

https://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html

Here details how the web site publishing etc. works..

https://maven.apache.org/developers/website/deploy-component-reference-documentation.html

I would suggest that you simply try to update the site content...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Shared Utils version 0.8

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Tibor,

updated board report accordingly.