Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2021/02/22 20:36:08 UTC

Do we need a new Query Engine?

Hi folks,

the title is a bit drastic but what I wanted to bring up as a discussion is what we plan to allow in our Query Language.

I worked a bit with Prometheus recently and what I really love there is the power of their query language. Lots of functions and the possibility to do math on timeseries. So not only scalar and timeseries but also timeseries and timeseries.

When I though about how to integrate that seamlessly into IoTDB I questioned myself if the current state of the “Query Engine” or “Execution Engine” is setup right for that or if there would be the need to “rewrite” it.
My gut feeling is that it started off well and just grew over and over with many more features and branches for all the different options.

What are other peoples feelings?
I really would love to have some more powerful math!

Julian

Re: AW: Do we need a new Query Engine?

Posted by Lei Rui <ne...@163.com>.
Hi,

This discussion reminds me of an example that might bring some inspiration [1][2]:

M. Symeonides, D. T., Z. Georgiou, G. Pallis and M. Dikaiakos (2019).
"Query-Driven Descriptive Analytics for IoT and Edge Computing."
IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E): 1-11.

[1] https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=8790179
[2] https://github.com/UCY-LINC-LAB/edge-computing-query-model

Regards,
Lei Rui

On 2/25/2021 00:16,Julian Feinauer<j....@pragmaticminds.de> wrote:
Hi,

sorry to be so unspecific. Prometheus has quite a nice Documentation as reference [1].

Thinks I like there are for example:

Math on Timeseries:
* timeseriesA +(, -, *, /) timeseriesB as a new series

Reuse Aggregations as new timeseries:
Avg(timeseriesA)/avg(timeseriesB) in a group by context

Best
Julian

[1] https://prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/querying/basics/

Von: Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>
Datum: Dienstag, 23. Februar 2021 um 09:51
An: dev <de...@iotdb.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: Do we need a new Query Engine?
Hi,

Welcome to more discussion about this topic.

I really love there is the power of their query language. Lots of
functions and the possibility to do math on timeseries

Sharing some examples may be the first step to open our mind :D

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University