Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2007/09/29 21:49:17 UTC

[build] Retaining too many snapshots

ASF infra have pointed out that we are retaining far too many snapshot
builds [1].

I think we only need to have the most recent three snapshot builds for
each platform.  The snapshots page [2] is way too long too -- why do we
need all these?

Unless there are any objections I'll go and delete the old ones.

[1]
http://people.apache.org/builds/harmony/snapshots/

[2]
http://people.apache.org/~mloenko/snapshot_testing/script/snapshots_summary.html

Regards,
Tim

Re: [build] Retaining too many snapshots

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 10/1/07, Tim Ellison wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
> > ASF infra have pointed out that we are retaining far too many snapshot
> > builds [1].
> >
> > I think we only need to have the most recent three snapshot builds for
> > each platform.  The snapshots page [2] is way too long too -- why do we
> > need all these?

I think we need keep snapshots for 2 week (5-6 snapshots) and IMHO all
interim testing results between 2 milestones. I think it worth to keep
them. The testing results also require noticeable amount of disk space
and we should improve suite reports to minimize reports size.

> > Unless there are any objections I'll go and delete the old ones.
>
> I realize that it is only 24hrs over a weekend since the call for
> objections, but I believe we need to be good ASF citizens, so I'm going
> to go ahead and delete a number of old snapshots to free up space on
> people.apache.org.
>
> I don't have rights to delete a number of them, so hopefully Stepan and
> Alexey can help me to trim down the retained builds.

Done.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
I have no objections. However, if we are limited in space we could
probably reduce our snapshot frequency to say once or twice a week.
Since we do not not always respond to regressions promptly - here I
mostly mean some non-integration test suites like tomcat tests or
struts - sometimes it is useful to have a snapshot that was built one
or two weeks ago.

BTW, how do other Apache projects solve this?

Regards,
Alexei

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.