Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> on 2016/02/12 22:38:07 UTC

Re: How to Generate a Drop Down List within a Calc cell?

At 16:18 12/02/2016 -0500, Vince Bonly wrote:
>Came upon one glitch: I did not see a Shrink button in my version
>(4.1.2) of AOO on the right of the "cell range" box. What I did see,
>after setting the Criteria-Allow to "Cell range", is an input line
>after a "Source" prompt.

The Shrink button is to the right of that Source box. It's an
alternative (easier and more reliable) way to fill the box.

>I learned that the definition string for my selection choices should
>not begin with an apostrophe ( ' ) nor with a [left] arrow ( < ).  I
>was trying to begin with '16 BVL Practice or <Blank>; neither of those worked.

That's not true. An apostrophe before a number will be interpreted as
a text format marker and not included in the cell value - but that
shouldn't cause any problem if you have text following it, as you do
here. (There are some complications if you have AutoCorrect set to
change apostrophes to smart quotes.) In any case, you need only to
format the cell range as Text before entering the values to avoid
this problem entirely.

I don't see why <Blank> should be a problem. (It isn't for me.) If
you actually want to be able to accept genuinely empty cells, just
ensure that "Allow blank cells" is ticked in the Validity dialogue.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker