Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1996/09/23 07:43:43 UTC

Re: Cookies -> Tracking

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Mark J Cox wrote:
> A lot of people get very confused by mod_cookies.c, thinking they
> have to use it just to be able to use cookies on a site.  Since what
> the module really does is user tracking I propose to rename it for 1.2
>
> mod_cookies.c -> mod_usertrack.c
>
> If there are no comments I'll make the naming changes early next week.

Looks like this never happened.

I still think it's a good idea, and if it's going to be done should be done
before 1.2's first beta.

Hey, was there any talk about putting the tracking ID somewhere where
mod_log_config has access to it separately, instead of trying to log %{Cookie}i
and %{Set-Cookie}o, which could contain other cookies for other applications?

	Brian

Re: Cookies -> Tracking

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Mark J Cox wrote:
> > > mod_cookies.c -> mod_usertrack.c
> > > If there are no comments I'll make the naming changes early next week.
> > Looks like this never happened.
>
> Jim gave it a "-1" saying that since it used cookies it should be called
> cookies.  I still think that the module is for user tracking and the fact
> that it currently uses cookies to do this doesn't matter.

I agree with this as well.  It may turn out that there'll be other sources for
tracking sessions in the future, and I'd want this module to evolve, not a new
one to be written.  Jim, could you reconsider?

> > Hey, was there any talk about putting the tracking ID somewhere where
> > mod_log_config has access to it separately, instead of trying to log %{Cookie}i
> > and %{Set-Cookie}o, which could contain other cookies for other applications?
>
> Alexei wrote a patch that put the Cookie in the "notes" section.  Add
> added a new directive to the logger to get things out of notes.  I wrote a
> follow-on patch that used this functionality to remove ALL logging code
> from mod_cookies.c.
>
> Were there any comments on these patches?  I'll +1 Alexei's original.

There's still logging code in mod_cookies, and I don't see anything in
mod_log_config about getting stuff out of "notes".  I think this would
definitely be worthwhile - anyone still have that patch?  Anyone want to veto
the idea?

	Brian

Re: Cookies -> Tracking

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.
> > mod_cookies.c -> mod_usertrack.c
> > If there are no comments I'll make the naming changes early next week.
> Looks like this never happened.

Jim gave it a "-1" saying that since it used cookies it should be called
cookies.  I still think that the module is for user tracking and the fact
that it currently uses cookies to do this doesn't matter.  If it is still
veto'd by 1.2 I'll just have to update mod_cookie documentation to
explicitly tell the user that they don't need the module just to be able
to use Cookies at all.

> Hey, was there any talk about putting the tracking ID somewhere where
> mod_log_config has access to it separately, instead of trying to log %{Cookie}i
> and %{Set-Cookie}o, which could contain other cookies for other applications?

Alexei wrote a patch that put the Cookie in the "notes" section.  Add
added a new directive to the logger to get things out of notes.  I wrote a
follow-on patch that used this functionality to remove ALL logging code
from mod_cookies.c.

Were there any comments on these patches?  I'll +1 Alexei's original.

Mark