Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/30 07:42:19 UTC

ActiveMQ stops accepting consumer requests

I am building a very basic web service that can either push text
messages onto a queue, or conversely consume messages from this same
queue.  ActiveMQ 5.0.0 is running standalone and is using the tcp://
transport and Kaha persistence.  (If it matters, I'm using JBoss as my
app server)

For my web service, I'm using a servlet, which using the doPost
method, builds up a very basic JMS producer client, sends the message,
and then tears the client down.  On the consumer side, it builds up a
very basic JMS consumer, consumes the message and then tears the
client down.

For testing purposes, I've written some HttpClient message producers
and consumers.  I'm producing/consuming 60kb messages as fast as they
will go.

It would seem that I can send messages to the queue all day long, but
after a random number of messages consumed, the consumers stop
consuming.

At this point, I have to stop ActiveMQ, restart, and then the
consumers will finish consuming the messages.  I've tried turning
debug on in ActiveMQ to try and get a hint as to what is going on, but
I don't see anything abnormal.

I'm thinking my design is probably pretty inefficient, and I was
curious if I was some how exhausting a resource somewhere by creating
and destroying so many JMS clients in such a short amount of time?

Is there anything in AMQ that I can switch on to get more debug info?
I've already tweaked the log4j settings.

thanks in advance

-- brian

Re: ActiveMQ stops accepting consumer requests

Posted by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Marco Buss <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Is the MemoryPercentUsage gowing to sink or is it on a constant value?
> If the MemoryPercentUsage is going to 100 at our server nothing we must also
> restart the broker.

Marco:

I'll have to do another load test to find this out.  Since I posted
yesterday, I've upgraded to 5.1 (both broker and client libs) and I
haven't been experiencing any of the issues I was having.   I also
bumped <memoryUsage> to 512 MB too.

Posted by Marco Buss <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Marco Buss <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:

> can you check the open threads with the jconsole on ActiveMQ during your
> run?
> I have the assumtion that you will see many Session threads. If the
> assumption is true, try the 5.1.0 from ActiveMQ.

On this last run, I didn't seen anything unusual in jconsole, but I
did see the following on the ActiveMQ console:

WARN  FailoverTransport              - Transport failed to
tcp://localhost:61616 , attempting to automatically reconnect due to:
java.io.EOFException
INFO  FailoverTransport              - Successfully reconnected to
tcp://localhost:61616

Posted by Marco Buss <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi Brian,

can you check the open threads with the jconsole on ActiveMQ during your
run?
I have the assumtion that you will see many Session threads. If the
assumption is true, try the 5.1.0 from ActiveMQ.

Regards
Marco

Posted by Demian Mrakovich <ne...@hotmail.com>.

I create a new connection, send message and close connection for each and
every message, yes. My consuming MDBean has a max pool size of 15. The queue
size may at times be up over ten thousand (my consumers are kindy slow). I
might add we are using XA transactions, don't know if it has anything to do
with it...

By the way, I am using JBoss (4.2.1) as app server too, with AMQ 4.1.1.

Please report back here if you find a remedy :)

Posted by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Demian Mrakovich <ne...@hotmail.com>.