Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Giannopoulos <Pe...@gemplus.com> on 2001/05/31 17:01:31 UTC

JSP CUSTOM TAGS

Hello all,

Can anyone show me an example of accesing a session variable in a custom
tag?
Or at least point me towards documentation that explains it?

(I have an object that I store in a session variable, I need to retrieve in
one of my custom tags)

 Peter Giannopoulos,            Software Designer
 Gemplus Software,              Advanced Projects Group

 Phone: +15147322434
 Fax:   +15147322401
 Gemplus Canada Inc.,     Http://www.gemplus.com

		I hear and I forget,
        	I see and I remember,
        	I do and I understand.

Re: JSP CUSTOM TAGS

Posted by Anne Dirkse <al...@uswest.net>.
Peter --

All that you need to do is get your PageContext, then call getSession()
on that. Then you've got your session and can retrieve stuff from it.
Here's some pseudo-code to explain:

 private PageContext pageContext;

    public void setPageContext(PageContext pageContext) {
        this.pageContext = pageContext;
       }

	public int doStartTag() throws JspException {
           HttpSession session = pageContext.getSession();
	   Object objTarget = session.getAttribute(target);
	   return SKIP_BODY;
	}

    public void release() {
        pageContext = null;

    }

Hope that helps...
Anne

Re: JSP CUSTOM TAGS

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
The taglib sutff provided by the apache taglib project can do this - I think
there is one specifically for session information retrieval. Check the
taglibs project on the apache.org webpage.

sam