Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net> on 2005/09/06 10:54:23 UTC

Database is crashing too often

Hi,

i have here subversion 1.2.1 on FreeBSD running. For some days it is
running fine and after a not reproducable time i get the error
message, if i try to checkin:

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem /usr/local/svn/wow/db while
opening environment:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

I need then to recover the database with svnadmin recover, after this
it is working fine.

What can here be the problem?

--
Bye
Matthias

Re: Database is crashing too often

Posted by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>.
Hello Martin,

* Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org> [08-09-05 11:32]:
> It is on current releases.

ah ok, i tought, i had created that repository on version 1.2 but
maybe it was on version before.
Thx.

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Should be fsfs not the default for new repositories, if fsfs is more
> stable then the db type?

It is on current releases.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

Visit http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: Database is crashing too often

Posted by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>.
Hello Rachael,

* Rachael Russell <ra...@gmail.com> [06-09-05 12:00]:
> You might find fsfs more stable than BDB - we used to have lots of
> crashes, until moving over to a fsfs repository.

thank you very much. I have converted now the main repository to fsfs
and hopefully this problems are solved now.

Posted by Rachael Russell <ra...@gmail.com>.
Matthias Fechner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i have here subversion 1.2.1 on FreeBSD running. For some days it is
>running fine and after a not reproducable time i get the error
>message, if i try to checkin:
>
>svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem /usr/local/svn/wow/db while
>opening environment:
>DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
>
>I need then to recover the database with svnadmin recover, after this
>it is working fine.
>
>What can here be the problem?

You might find fsfs more stable than BDB - we used to have lots of
crashes, until moving over to a fsfs repository.

This is how I convert repositories from BDB to fsfs:

(from the Red Book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s03.html#svn-ch-5-sect-3.5):

 > svnadmin verify /path/to/old/bdb/repos    (check no issues in old
repository)
 > svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /path/to/new/fsfs/repos   (1.2 may use
fsfs by default I think??)
 > svnadmin dump /path/to/old/bdb/repos | svnadmin load
/path/to/new/fsfs/repos

** Note - this will dump every revision - you can add filters etc to the
dump command if needed.

Once you're happy it's all OK, you can then delete the old bdb
repository - if the repository has the same name as the old one in your
apache conf, clients shouldnt need to change anything to continue working.

Re: Database is crashing too often

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/05, Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have here subversion 1.2.1 on FreeBSD running. For some days it is
> running fine and after a not reproducable time i get the error
> message, if i try to checkin:
>
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem /usr/local/svn/wow/db while
> opening environment:
> DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
>
> I need then to recover the database with svnadmin recover, after this
> it is working fine.
>
> What can here be the problem?

BDB can become wedged if multiple processes simultaneously
access the database. Or if certain assumptions about the file system's
locking capabilities are not true.

If this was a one time issue, I would run svnadmin recover and just
move on. If it happens repeatedly, then something in your setup
is not conducive to using bdb backend, so you should switch to
fs.

Josh