Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Frederik Bayart <fr...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/11/17 02:56:53 UTC

[scxml] Is there any visualization tool ?

Hallo,

Is there anybody who knows visualization tools that can generate a state graph based on a scxml document ?

Thanks,

Frederik

Re: [scxml] Is there any visualization tool ?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/06, Nestor Urquiza <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do not think XSLT is fragile at all and specially
> for XML Transformations I prefer it over any DOM or
> SAX API approach. There are interesting efforts and
> results like uml2svg [1] (to visualize XMI it uses an
> XSLT[2]) in this area btw.
>
> In any case while both solutions (with and without
> XSLT) could be fine, with the XSLT one you get the
> advantage of separation of concerns between the XML
> Mapping (XMI to SCXML) and the graphical tool you
> select to use. In that way of course changes to the
> specification do not affect the work you do for any of
> the specific plugin implementations (You need a plugin
> for each single modelling tool you want to use able to
> convert from specific graphical solution to XMI).

<snip/>

Correct, its one per modeling tool, and thats a drawback. I have
nothing against others taking the XSLT approach, clearly as you show,
others are having good success with it. Might come down to personal
preference.

-Rahul

Posted by Nestor Urquiza <ne...@yahoo.com>.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-user&m=116232392213049&w=2

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/06, Nestor Urquiza <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> this is becomming a good candidate question to go to
> FAQ ;-)
>
> Of course I as the rest of us I cannot wait to see
> such a tool in the market.

<snip/>

Indeed, those are the parts that add significant value to and from the
modeling layer. Given the demand, I think its just a matter of time
before someone decides to make that investment, and additionally make
it available to others. There are actually two transforms in this
discussion:

(a) UML state machine / activity diagram --> SCXML document
(b) SCXML document --> some visualization (such as a UML state machine diagram)

I believe (a) has come up a few times on the list, but this is the
first thread I've seen that asks for (b). Both have their place.

-Rahul

P.S.-The Commons SCXML FAQ is available on the wiki, ofcourse, all are
welcome to edit /add to it, its here:

 http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/SCXML/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Posted by Nestor Urquiza <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Rahul,