Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2009/12/22 13:33:33 UTC

3.0 tutorial

Finally I was able to update the tutorial for 3.0:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAYDOC30/Tutorial

The cool thing about it is that it only requires the Maven Eclipse
plugin, and bypasses all the Eclipse nonsense related to running
webapps using maven-jetty-plugin. It doesn't add any more advanced
features (listeners, caching prefetching), but I guess we can write
separate tutorials for those.

Ari, one more thing that I can't find in archives... What was the
remaining Confluence problem that prevented us from publishing
CAYDOC30, and switching submenus under "Version 3.0" to CAYDOC30 (and
also switching "Getting Started" menu to the new version of the
tutorial)?

Andrus

RE: 3.0 tutorial

Posted by Рябицкий Евгений <er...@diasoft.ru>.
Hello!
Could I suggest to separate section "Learning Cayenne API" on

1) Learning Cayenne Persistent API. (Actually now Learning Cayenne API is about Persistent API)
2) Learning Cayenne Query API. (to describe blue section from here [1]) ?

[1] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc20/runtime-components.html

I want to say that Cayenne not only ORM Framework it's also powerful Query Engine. And it will be cool to describe this fetures.

Evgeny.

Re: 3.0 tutorial

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Dec 23, 2009, at 12:50 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> I've got all that resolved now.

Great. That's good news.

> But I'd like to spend a little time before our launch on various
> tidying. Ideally I'll do it all in one go close to launch so we can
> name 3.0 as stable, move 1.x/2.x into an older archived section, etc.
>
> If you make any changes, please make sure you change all 6 (?)
> spaces we have in the same way, and commit the template into svn. I
> think I might be lagging a bit in committing my latest changes to svn.

I guess I'll let you handle it.

> Javadocs are building nicely in Hudson now, but I want to push that
> out to the web site in the same URL as they are now (the existing
> doc building broke a few weeks back so they are not updating....
> probably that mvn install problem). In theory I could do version 3.0
> and trunk as separate javadocs if people will find that helpful.

Yes, splitting trunk (3.1) from 3.0 stuff will be very helpful for all
pieces of the documentation, including javadocs. Here is some thoughts
on that:

* 3.1 UserGuide is quickly diverging from 3.0. Currently we publish
3.1 UG under 3.0 menu, we need to publish 3.0 version there.

* Same with 3.1 Javadocs - 3.1 Javadocs is quickly diverging from 3.0.
Currently it is published under 3.0, that is likely to cause confusion.

* Very soon we'll have a separate "version 3.1" top menu item, having
all the trunk stuff linked to it. Until we do, we don't have to
publish the trunk docs, but publishing 3.0 docs is important, cause we
want people to switch ASAP. (This also goes for changing the status of
3.0 in the menu to "Beta", or "Release Candidate").

A bit unrelated thing about 3.1 Javadocs... as we are moving in the
direction of more fine grained modularity (either visible or invisible
to the end user), we either need to split the javadocs by
"unpublished" module, including at least "cayenne-di-unpublished" and
"cayenne-jdk1.5-unpublished", and leaving room for more, or we
generate a single javadoc from the aggregated module - cayenne-server.

Andrus

Re: 3.0 tutorial

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 22/12/09 11:33 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Ari, one more thing that I can't find in archives... What was the
> remaining Confluence problem that prevented us from publishing CAYDOC30,
> and switching submenus under "Version 3.0" to CAYDOC30 (and also
> switching "Getting Started" menu to the new version of the tutorial)?

I've got all that resolved now. But I'd like to spend a little time before our launch on various tidying. Ideally I'll do it all in one go close to launch so we can name 3.0 as stable, move 1.x/2.x into an older archived section, etc.

If you make any changes, please make sure you change all 6 (?) spaces we have in the same way, and commit the template into svn. I think I might be lagging a bit in committing my latest changes to svn.

Javadocs are building nicely in Hudson now, but I want to push that out to the web site in the same URL as they are now (the existing doc building broke a few weeks back so they are not updating.... probably that mvn install problem). In theory I could do version 3.0 and trunk as separate javadocs if people will find that helpful.

I wanted to do all this earlier but Hudson/mvn wrangling as occupied what little free time I've had.

Ari

--

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: 3.0 tutorial

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
But of course Maven has its dark side too. Namely, you can't rely on
public repositories to store any given artifact version for any
prolonged time. Besides Derby that I used is having a broken pom that
works from Eclipse (as m2eclipse plugin uses a workaround), but
doesn't work from the command line.

Looks like we'll need to put all dependencies in the objectstyle.org
repo for it to still work next month.

Andrus