Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Bram Stieperaere <br...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/07 13:36:15 UTC

rewrite of GPL'd C code to java, compatible with Apache Licence?

Hi,

I am porting a vectorization library (potrace) from C to java (potrace4j,
working title) . the C code is GPL.

- Can I release the java version under an Apache Licence? A small part of
the java code is quite different, because of language feature differences
(IO/exceptions/memory mgmt/build in data structures ..), but the core
graphical algorithms are simply copied (including comments) from the c code.

-  Also, I think It would be a nice extension to Batik SVG library. Can I
(legally) donate the potrace4j code to Apache batik project?

Bram

Re: rewrite of GPL'd C code to java, compatible with Apache Licence?

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Bram Stieperaere<br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for your replies.
>
> to sum up: by making a simple transcription of a program to java, I make a
> derivative work, hence the GPL stipulates that I should release my work
> under the GPL.
>
> I'll make it GPL then, and put it on a OSS site like sourceforge.

Hi,
I think if you are the *only* author of potrace you can re-license the
new lib as ASL.

Julien

Re: rewrite of GPL'd C code to java, compatible with Apache Licence?

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Yonik Seeley asked:
> It may not be automatic, but don't judges take willful infringement
> into account when awarding damages?

Yes. But reading patents doesn't imply willful infringement damages. You
must still be a "willful infringer".

/Larry

> > And one should not search for relevant patents before coding else become
> > liable for treble damages.
>
> Not true. Urban myth.

It may not be automatic, but don't judges take willful infringement
into account when awarding damages?

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/appxl_35_U_S_C_284.htm
http://www.patentbaristas.com/archives/2006/11/02/invitrogen-gets-triple-dam
ages-in-e-coli-competent-cell-case/
http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-technology/Third-Wave-wins-triple-damage
s-in-patent-case-2937-1/

-Yonik

Re: rewrite of GPL'd C code to java, compatible with Apache Licence?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> While "telling the same story" might not be copyright infringement,
> you might have to start to be concerned about potential patent
> infringement if any patents were to read on that story...  -- justin

Patent infringement is a risk when you implement nearly anything and
there's little that can be done in advance to mitigate it.  Unless you
have good reason to believe there's a patent, time spent worrying about
infringing other's patents is wasted.  And one should not search for
relevant patents before coding else become liable for treble damages.

Doug

Re: rewrite of GPL'd C code to java, compatible with Apache Licence?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Bram Stieperaere asked:

- Can I release the java version under an Apache Licence? A small part of
the java code is quite different, because of language feature differences
(IO/exceptions/memory mgmt/build in data structures ..), but the core
graphical algorithms are simply copied (including comments) from the c code.

There's no simple way of summarizing copyright rules. But let me give you a
way to deal with it in practice: If you copy code without a license, you are
probably a copyright infringer. Your admission that you "simply copied
(including comments) from the c code" will be almost impossible to deny when
you are accused of copyright infringement. Guilty because of admission!

Here's another incomplete but useful summary rule: If you look at the code
of a program and copy any of it, you are probably infringing. If you look
only at what a program does and write another program to do the same things,
you are probably not a copyright infringer.

/Larry

P.S. Since Niclas asked I'll suggest that "telling the same story" isn't an
obvious copyright infringement for software (but it can be). I think that's
far more likely if you were to tell the story of Harry Potter than if you
were to tell the story of Apache Hadoop or Linux.