Posted to user@tez.apache.org by Gopal V <go...@apache.org> on 2014/08/06 22:23:02 UTC

Feedback for tez-swimlanes

Hi,

I just moved tez-swimlanes from my github into master (TEZ-1332).

This is written in python at the moment and works off the tez logs to
make diagrams which look like.

http://people.apache.org/~gopalv/query27.svg

This isn't the final version of the visualization, so I'd like some
feedback on making it useful, like what needs documenting or explaining
in there.

Cheers,
Gopal

RE: Feedback for tez-swimlanes

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
It would be great to have

1)      The task index and attempt index along with the vertex name in the
task box

2)      If the task attempt did not succeed then mark it somehow on the
task box.

This will help identify failures and retries.

Bikas

Posted by "Jianfeng (Jeff) Zhang" <jz...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Gopal,

Several questions:

1.  Does each column represent dag ? My first intuition is vertex. May I
know the progress of each vertex from this UI ?
2.  Follow question 1, if each column represent dag.  Does it necessary to
put all the dags in one session in one unified UI ? IMO, users are more
concerned for each specified dag.  All the dags should be independent. We
could represent one page as one dag, and each column as vertex (topological
order ), and inside each vertex, draw the task and task attempt progress.
3.  What does green line in the first column represent ?

Best Regards,
Jeff Zhang

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 5:06 AM, Prasanth Jayachandran <
pjayachandran@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The swimlane view looks very cool. I have couple of suggestions
> 1) It will be good to have headings for left and right most columns.
> (container_id and hostname)
> 2) The dag id has execution time at the end. Will be better to add the
> unit for the same (14.2 s).
>
> Thanks
> Prasanth Jayachandran
>
> On Aug 6, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Gopal V <go...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just moved tez-swimlanes from my github into master (TEZ-1332).
> >
> > This is written in python at the moment and works off the tez logs to
> make diagrams which look like.
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~gopalv/query27.svg
> >
> > This isn't the final version of the visualization, so I'd like some
> feedback on making it useful, like what needs documenting or explaining in
> there.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Gopal
>

> --