Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2015/01/26 19:45:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Solicitation for IPMC Chair nomination

Hi!

after making sure that there's still an Incubator
to be managed for the next 6-12 months, I'd like
to open up a discussion thread on soliciting
nominations for the next IPMC Chair.

Feel free to self-nominate or nominate folks who
you know. Provide a summary of your 'program'
or not. At this point, we want as much feedback
and discussion as possible. The VOTE thread will
come in a few weeks.

Things to keep in mind while thinking about nominating
yourself or others:
   1. This is a 6-12 months commitment that, based on my
    personal experience, would require you to allocate 7-10
    hours per week.

    2. This is a rotating Chair and you would be expected to
    start a similar thread in 12 months.

    3. From where I sit, the most important job for the new
    Chair for the next few months would be to help shape
    the incremental, actionable plan for improving the
    mentoring situation in the Incubator.

    4. The situation around 'professional student' podlings
    is not improving nearly quick enough (4 years without
    a single release? really?). Anybody who has actionable
    ideas on how to improve it would get my support.

Now, to get the ball rolling, here are the two folks I'd
like to suggest as future IPMC Chairs:
    * Ted Dunning
    * Henry Saputra
In my view, both have demonstrated an exceptional
understanding of the 'Apache Way', dedication to
mentoring podlings they are responsible for and enthusiasm
around bringing new communities into the ASF family.
On top of that, both have exercised a remarkable skill
in conducting public discussions and driving towards
consensus.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Solicitation for IPMC Chair nomination

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Last call for [self-]nominations!

It has been a week since the original email and I'd like
to keep the thread going for a day or two and then start
the official vote so we wrap it up in time for this months
board resolution.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
+1 (and on a personal note, thank you for making possible to, once again, avoid throwing my own hat into the ring).

Ross

> ...I would be happy and enthusiastic to help by working with the
> Incubator project in this role....

+1, thanks!

We have a growing number of survivors who demonstrate that it's possible to do a great job as an Incubator PMC chair without losing your sanity (at least not completely ;-). Looking forward to another one!

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Solicitation for IPMC Chair nomination

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to the Kylin guys for their support.  And to Marvin.  And Roman.

I have spent a lot of time considering and have decided that I will accept
this nomination. The source of my reticence is that if I take on this
responsibility, I will have to become part of the missing-mentor problem
and pull back from some of the mentorship work that I am doing.

My feeling is that this won't be a huge problem. In all of the projects I
am helping now, there are other active mentors and most of the projects are
maturing rapidly (like Calcite) or have graduated (like Flink). Henry is on
some of the new projects and Roman is on another so they all seem to be in
good hands.

So,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Ted Dunning and Henry Saputra

They both are very actively helping Kylin incubating from the beginning.
Their passion, professional and experience brings great value for our
incubator project. With their very nice coach, all of us gained a lot of
from them, especially about run open source community which is more
important than coding itself.

Thanks
Luke

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Re: [DISCUSS] Solicitation for IPMC Chair nomination

Posted by "Adunuthula, Seshu" <sa...@ebay.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
+1 for Ted Dunning.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
> On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>> Things to keep in mind while thinking about nominating
>>> yourself or others:
>>>  1. This is a 6-12 months commitment that, based on my
>>>   personal experience, would require you to allocate 7-10
>>>   hours per week.
>>>
>>>   2. This is a rotating Chair and you would be expected to
>>>   start a similar thread in 12 months.
>>
>> FYI, this is a tradition, not a rule; albeit a very good tradition.
>
> True, but FWIW: anybody NOT firmly sharing this
> expectation will fail to receive support of a few IPMC
> members (including yours truly).

And me as well!  :)

Regards,
Alan

Re: [DISCUSS] Solicitation for IPMC Chair nomination

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.