Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ray Tayek <rt...@attbi.com> on 2002/12/21 18:49:11 UTC

newbie trying samples from: "Cocoon: Building XML Apps..."

hi, newbie here trying to run the samples from the above book on linux.

dropped the war in to tomcat 4.0.1. with jdk1.4.1 and things went downhill
fast.

finaly gave up and installed 1.3.1_03 and the tomcat off the book's cd.
(3.3.? final or something like that). (that's what the book says to do).
has anyone made the sample work? if so, what versions of jdk and tomcat
were you using?

what versions of tomcat, jdk and jdkee would you recommend in general? (i
have  another cocoon book coming or i can roll my own samples or use the
one that come with the download?.

what is the easiest path to get started?

thanks

---
ray tayek http://home.attbi.com/~rtayek/ actively seeking mentoring or
telecommuting work
vice chair orange county java users group http://www.ocjug.org/
mailto:chair@ocjug.org
hate spam? http://samspade.org/ssw/

Re: newbie trying samples from: "Cocoon: Building XML Apps..."

Posted by Ray Tayek <rt...@attbi.com>.
At 11:28 AM 12/21/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Ray -
>
>I hope your other book is mine & Jeremy's - Cocoon Developer's Handbook ;)

no, but yours (and another are on the way from amazon). thanks to all of
you who wrote these, they make learning new stuff like cocoon *much* easier.

>The easiest configuration I've found is Tomcat 4.0.5 or greater, with JDK
>1.3.x. I have been able to drop Cocoon 2.0.3/2.0.4 into Tomcat
>4.0.5/4.0.6/4.1.12 without any problems. Just note that if you build 2.0.4
>yourself, be sure in include the scratchpad libs.

ok, will give it a try.

thanks

Posted by Ray Tayek <rt...@attbi.com>.
At 10:46 AM 12/21/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I've use the latest version of Jetty without any issues so far.  It does
>not require any funky copying of xml*.jars anywhere as they are loaded as
>application specific resources by default in the case of cocoon.

i am used to tomcat. i may give jetty a try if all else fails.

thanks

Posted by Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert <th...@lunartek.com>.
I've use the latest version of Jetty without any issues so far.  It
does not require any funky copying of xml*.jars anywhere as they are
loaded as application specific resources by default in the case of
cocoon.

Cheers,
Thor HW

Posted by Lajos Moczar <lm...@galatea.com>.
Hi Ray -

[documentation request] Re: newbie trying samples from: "Cocoon: Building XML Apps..." (answer)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Ray Tayek wrote:
> it appears to work using:
>
> cocoon-2.0.4/
> j2sdk1.4.1_01/
> jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-LE-jdk14/
>
> if you follow the instructions at
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html about copying the
> xalan and
> xerces jars  (which are in lib, not lib/core).

Can somebody add this information (directory lib/core in source
distribution or CVS vs. directory lib in WAR or after deploy in
container) to the file? It was the second time somebody had a problem
with it in the last week.

Joerg

Re: newbie trying samples from: "Cocoon: Building XML Apps..." (answer)

Posted by Ray Tayek <rt...@attbi.com>.
At 09:49 AM 12/21/02 -0800, you wrote:
>hi, newbie here trying to run the samples from the above book on linux.
>
>dropped the war in to tomcat 4.0.1. with jdk1.4.1 and things went downhill
>fast.
>
>finaly gave up and installed 1.3.1_03 and the tomcat off the book's cd.
>(3.3.? final or something like that). (that's what the book says to do).
>has anyone made the sample work? if so, what versions of jdk and tomcat
>were you using?
>
>what versions of tomcat, jdk and jdkee would you recommend in general?

it appears to work using:

cocoon-2.0.4/
j2sdk1.4.1_01/
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-LE-jdk14/

if you follow the instructions at
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html about copying the xalan and
xerces jars  (which are in lib, not lib/core). i don't know about the jdbc
issue since afaik it is not using any jdbc.

thanks

---