Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael Woinoski <mi...@pineneedleconsulting.com> on 2003/06/26 18:55:01 UTC

Problem installing Axis 1.1 on Tomcat 5

I'm having a problem migrating Axis from Tomcat 4 to Tomcat 5 (the version
bundled with JWSDP 1.2). I tried the same Axis installation process that worked
with Tomcat 4 (copy /axis/webapps/axis to Tomcat's webapps and copy dom.jar,
sax.jar and xercesImpl.jar to axis WEB-INF/lib) but the axis app is listed as
"stopped" in the Tomcat app list. I can't find any error messages in the log
files, and if I add a <Logger> to the Tomcat webapps/axis.xml, the axis log file
is created and contains happy startup messages. I then tried deploying axis as a
war file in Tomcat's webapps but get the same result.

The only clue is that when I try to display the properties of the /axis webapp
using Tomcat's gui admin tool, it displays this error:

	Error retrieving attribute debug

What debug attribute is causing the problem? This error occurs even though the
<Context> in axis.xml has a debug attribute.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Mike

--

Mike Woinoski                      Pine Needle Consulting
mailto:michaelw@pineneedleconsulting.com

Re: Problem installing Axis 1.1 on Tomcat 5

Posted by Michael Woinoski <mi...@pineneedleconsulting.com>.
Steve (and Matias),
You just won the white-hat award! Thank you! The problem was the jwsdp libs, not
Tomcat 5, because Axis 1.1 ran fine on an unbundled Tomcat (although Tomcat did
give an "Error retrieving attribute debug" when I used the Tomcat admin tool to
tinker with the /axis context settings.)

The real culprit was log4j-1.2.8.jar, which I moved to JWSDP_HOME/commons/lib as
Matias suggested. My JWSDP_HOME/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib currently contains only
axis.jar, commons-discovery.jar, and wsdl4j.jar (Axis loaded the saaj and
jax-rpc apis from the jwsdp libs). happyaxis.jsp reports all core and optional
components are found. I've deployed a few services with JWS and AdminClient, and
so far everything looks fine.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Mike