Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David <da...@msn.com> on 2010/05/20 00:36:32 UTC

ExtFilterDefine persistency

If I haven't sent this to the correct place please inform me.

I've look through the assorted documentation, both mod_perl and Apache, and haven't found a solution to my situation. I've also given the internet a try with no luck. I admit I'm new to mod_perl.

I've installed mod_perl onto an Apache server, version 2.2.15, Windows XP, and have it running. I'm running Perl 5.8.8

I've inserted the following line into my httpd.conf file:

ExtFilterDefine IpCount mode=input cmd="C:/perl/bin/perl.exe C:/Apache22/cgi-bin/ip_count.pl".

The file ip_count.pl will execute just fine but because I have to load the Perl interpreter each time, and I can't specify a URL, the performance is less than desired. No persistency.

Is there a way to have mod_perl handle its execution by specifying something other than "C:/perl/bin/perl.exe"?

Thank You

Re: ExtFilterDefine persistency

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM, David <da...@msn.com> wrote:
> If I haven't sent this to the correct place please inform me.
>
> I've look through the assorted documentation, both mod_perl and Apache, and
> haven't found a solution to my situation. I've also given the internet a try
> with no luck. I admit I'm new to mod_perl.
>
> I've installed mod_perl onto an Apache server, version 2.2.15, Windows
> XP, and have it running. I'm running Perl 5.8.8
>
> I've inserted the following line into my httpd.conf file:
>
> ExtFilterDefine IpCount mode=input cmd="C:/perl/bin/perl.exe
> C:/Apache22/cgi-bin/ip_count.pl".

That doesn't use mod_perl.  Instead, it launches your script
externally in the same manner as a traditional CGI (separate process,
no persistence between requests).

> The file ip_count.pl will execute just fine but because I have to load the
> Perl interpreter each time, and I can't specify a URL, the performance is
> less than desired. No persistency.
>
> Is there a way to have mod_perl handle its execution by specifying something
> other than "C:/perl/bin/perl.exe"?

mod_perl and mod_ext_filter don't interact for filtering.

mod_perl provides its own filtering interface; it wouldn't be as easy
to implement as your simple cmd-line filter, but it would have much
higher performance; see
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/Filter.html

(I dunno much about mod_perl, but I wrote mod_ext_filter originally.)