Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Crossley, Jim" <Jc...@tandbergtv.com> on 2007/04/20 14:21:33 UTC

My plugin maintainer died

Or at least, so it seems.  Only SNAPSHOT versions of the plugin upon which my project depends have ever been released, and I need to cut a release of my project.  The release plugin won't let me as long as I depend on a SNAPSHOT plugin.  I understand why, but I'm wondering which best practice addresses "plugin maintainer death".

My workaround was to grab the source, change the version in its pom and deploy to my local repository, but I felt moist and dirty afterwards.  Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: My plugin maintainer died

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
The process you followed the "popular solution" at this time.

While changing the version number in the pom, you should also think
about changing the groupId as well. If you don't change the groupId,
try to pick a version that the actual author isn't likely to use; else
change the groupId so you can easily go back to the original
plugin/version easily if/when someone picks it back up.

Wayne

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/07, Crossley, Jim <Jc...@tandbergtv.com> wrote:

> No, not that one, in particular.  I'm sure there are quite a few out there.
> I figured it was a pretty common problem, so I was wondering what the
>  popular solution was.

As Wayne confirmed, doing an "internal" plugin release is the popular
solution.  But you mentioned only installing the it to your local
repo.  For this to be reproducible, you should establish an internal
'remote' repo, and deploy your plugin release there.  This doesn't
have to involve a webserver, you can use file:// urls if it's just you
or a small team.

Otherwise, when you clear out your local repository for one reason or
another, you'll be unable to reproduce your project release, and no
one else on your team will be able to without also installing that
plugin release locally.

--
Wendy

RE: My plugin maintainer died

Posted by "Crossley, Jim" <Jc...@tandbergtv.com>.

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/07, Jose Alberto Fernandez <jo...@cellectivity.com> wrote:

> What I wondering is how to call the best practice of "We only have an
> SNAPSHOT version but we already changed the official documentation on the
> site." Like what happens with the maven-assembly-plugin:2.2.
>
> How can you have on the main site the documentation for code that is not
> even released as alpha? Does not look too much as a best practice, is it?
>
> Sigh...

Sigh indeed. :)  This is a topic for the dev list, but it's definitely
still on my agenda.

In fact I did try to publish the released assembly plugin docs, here:
   http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin-2.1/

Unfortunately the part I really wanted, the descriptors, wouldn't
cooperate and I haven't had time to investigate.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll dig out my notes and re-start the
discussion.  The current way we're handling this isn't working.

--
Wendy

Re: My plugin maintainer died

Posted by Jose Alberto Fernandez <jo...@cellectivity.com>.