Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/26 21:23:55 UTC

Re: Home for XML Schema? (SOLR-17)

On 5/26/06, Mike Baranczak <MB...@epublishing.com> wrote:
> I looked at a few randomly selected files from various Apache
> projects, and it doesn't seem like there are any naming conventions
> at all, or if there are, nobody else knows them either. I propose the
> following:
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/1.0/solr-http.xsd

I like the idea of adding schema support for Solr's output, but I'm
afraid most of my XML experience is with non-validated stuff.

Can we use a full name like that w/o clients trying to hit the real
lucene.apache.org website looking for the schema?

I assume the xsd would go under webapp/resources somewhere?

-Yonik

Re: Home for XML Schema? (SOLR-17)

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> > http://lucene.apache.org/solr/1.0/solr-http.xsd
>
> I like the idea of adding schema support for Solr's output, but I'm
> afraid most of my XML experience is with non-validated stuff.
>
> Can we use a full name like that w/o clients trying to hit the real
> lucene.apache.org website looking for the schema?

Yeah.  This is done fairly routinely: you can see, for example, how
Tomcat packages the web.xml DTD/XSD files alongside the servlet-api.
Every web.xml file has the full DTD/XSD URL for the web-app element,
but 99.9% of the time the lookup is local, no network connection
needed.

> I assume the xsd would go under webapp/resources somewhere?

Sure, it's as good a place as any.  I suggest NOT putting it under
WEB-INF, so that developers can easily see the actual raw XSD file in
their browser while developing / testing.

Yoav