Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us> on 2007/02/22 01:56:36 UTC

A couple of feed related things...

I would like to implement Mark Nottingham's feed history.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-08.txt

Basically adding pointers for first, next and previous (last is not
optimal) in our feeds.

Also, I would like to implement a feed for search results in Roller.

Any thoughts?

-Elias

Re: A couple of feed related things...

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 :-D.. oh right, I don't get to vote, sorry ;-)

- James

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
The feed history spec has entered last call but it is still a ways from
reaching Proposed Standard status.  Getting some implementations is
critical to making that happen.  The APP spec has paging that is
consistent with the feed history approach.

- James

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Dave wrote:
> [snip]
>> >
>> > Basically adding pointers for first, next and previous (last is not
>> > optimal) in our feeds.
>>
>> sounds like a nice thing to have, but this is still just a draft right?
>>   i'm not really inclined to introduce things that haven't been
>> finalized and approved.  if the spec has been approved as part of the
>> atom protocol for example, then it's fine with me.
>
> +1 but it should be optional and default to off

Why?

- James

Re: A couple of feed related things...

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Anil Gangolli wrote:
> +1
>
> Is "first" earliest or latest in conventional ordering?

Correct, latest it is.

> What's the issue with "last" ?

For last we'd need a total count first. However, it's not just total #
of entries, we need to get the total for that specific request and the
current interfaces don't allow us to easily get that count. No matter
what it's slower than just putting a pointer to the next page #.

-Elias

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
+1

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.