Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ofer Kalisky <ka...@hotmail.com> on 2008/01/24 15:30:14 UTC

Tomcat memory leak?

Hi,

I know it's weird, but I'm doing the simplest thing and can't believe there
such a leak that I'm the first one to notice. I bet it's my bad, please
someone explain, what I'm doing wrong...

I created the simplest JSP and when I load test it - tomcat (6.0.14,
jre1.6.0_03) goes to 99.9% memory use in a few minutes (If I raise the max
heap size it takes longer, but it happens several minutes afterwards), and
when I stop bombarding it, it doesn't return to the usual percentage.

When I try the same with an HTML instead of a JSP, that returns exactly the
same - it stays on 12%-20%, cleans with the garbage collector, and returns
to the usual percentage (about 12%).

I tried profiling with several plugins and external programs, but I really
can't understand what's going on. They tell me that most of the allocated
bytes are "char[]", but I'm not sure who's the allocator and if there's
anything I can do about it...

Attached are:
1. a test in python that bombards the tomcat,
2. a war with both something.jsp and something.html (they are both the same,
but when I bombard something.html everything is ok, and when I do the same
for something.jsp - the problem occurs)

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? does it happen to you too?

Thanks, Ofer.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p15065013/LoadTest.war LoadTest.war
http://www.nabble.com/file/p15065013/load.py load.py