Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2017/03/17 15:16:27 UTC

Mergin ODPi changes into Bigtop

Hi!

as Evans quite rightfully noted right here:
I merged ODPi changes preserving ODPi
commit history.

Now, assuming that a given change coming from
ODPi looks OK to Bigtop development community,
what would be the preference here? Preserve the
history (this will mean, among other things, commit
messages with ODPi JIRA IDs in them, etc.) OR
squashing everything?

My rationale for preservation was my obsession with
IP lineage. Basically who contributed what at which
point under which License and ICLA. The downside
is the JIRA IDs and comments in the commits. Btw,
all those JIRAs are public, but of course they have nothing
to do with ASF.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Mergin ODPi changes into Bigtop

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
I think the more info the better, and making extra commits that are noisy is ok.  The priority is to keep big top and odp moving forward without making extra work for ODPi for contributing :).

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Olaf!

not sure what you mean -- those 3 have one JIRA assigned to each of them.
See below:

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de> wrote:
> Cos,
>
> Surely you are referring to other commits, unless you are joking.
>
> https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/40fd25e52cace1245dd669307326c3cb20044335

ODPI-129

> https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/ba4c1bf7e29ba639137259308d8b6e0252ef7fb9

ODPI-100

> https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/d78693bed54fbb239aacff939a2e03663050d887

ODPI-72

Now, when we bring it into Bigtop -- there's no need to file 3 JIRAs
-- beacause the end
result is what we're after. In this sense it is no different from
somebody working on the
BIGTOP JIRA and having a few commits in their history. Most of the
time -- we're not interested
in how the person was fixing internal bugs -- we're interested in the
end result. That's why
we typically ask to squash. But there's not policy to force the squashing.

As I said -- I believe for ODPi's case we have a good reason not to --
but I'd be fine with
squashing.

Hence this thread ;-)

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Cos,

Surely you are referring to other commits, unless you are joking.

https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/40fd25e52cace1245dd669307326c3cb20044335 <https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/40fd25e52cace1245dd669307326c3cb20044335>
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/ba4c1bf7e29ba639137259308d8b6e0252ef7fb9 <https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/ba4c1bf7e29ba639137259308d8b6e0252ef7fb9>
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/d78693bed54fbb239aacff939a2e03663050d887 <https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/d78693bed54fbb239aacff939a2e03663050d887>

Olaf