Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Nicolas Rougé <ni...@free.fr> on 2006/07/19 10:03:25 UTC

SSL/TLS session

Hi,

I'm writing a reverse proxy, which handles requests from multiple clients.
The proxy forwards all the request to a server using HTTPS protocol, using
httpclient 2.0.2 (+ IBM or Sun JSSE).
I'm using EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory, and my proxy runs on a JRE 1.3.1.

I have a question concerning SSL/TLS sessions (ie HTTPS persistent connections)
: how can I do to prevent the full handshake mecanism for each connection my
proxy opens to the server ? Apparently, SSL/TLS session is attached to an
instance of SSLContext, so sharing the same instance of SSLContext seems to
work. I am right ?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

RE: SSL/TLS session

Posted by "Satsangi, Vivek " <Vi...@xerox.com>.
Hello Nicolas, you can share the context. However, be sure to use the multithreaded connection manager. Also, we had sever problems with Sun's JCE with JVM 1.3.1 + http client 2.0.2 (and also earlier versions. For some reason, the contents of the SSL Context were getting messed up after some 1000 or so requests.

Ultimately, the cause was determined to be the other apps running on the JVM also using the JCE for their own SSL connection. I don't know fuiller details, we were never able to work them out.

Vivek Satsangi
Cell: 585 313 4049 [Preferred]
Work: 8* 223 2424 / 585 423 2424 [Not Preferred for leaving messages]
Personal Cell: 585 259 5320
Email: vivek.satsangi@xerox.com
Backup email: vivek.satsangi@gmail.com
Manager / Escalation: Muhammed Rizwan, 716 573 2738
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgment difficult.