Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Bender Heri <HB...@Ergonomics.ch> on 2005/04/07 14:42:59 UTC

File-Appender: Empty Ghost files

Hi all

I have a server application which can serve multiple clients. The logging occurs in files separated by client. (BTW: This is accomplished by supplying a own RepositorySelector which uses certain values in MDC).

Therefore the file name within the configurtion file (DailyRollingFileAppender) only denotes the (root-) file name which is overridden in code while initializing the loggers.

The problem is now, that the LogManager on it's own initialization creates the file which is declared within the configuration file (<param name="file" value="log.log"/>). This file is never used afterwards. I would like to avoid the creation of this file.

I am using version 1.2.8

TIA

Heri

Re: File-Appender: Empty Ghost files

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 02:42 PM 4/7/2005, Bender Heri wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I have a server application which can serve multiple clients. The logging
>occurs in files separated by client. (BTW: This is accomplished by
>supplying a own RepositorySelector which uses certain values in MDC).
>
>Therefore the file name within the configurtion file
>(DailyRollingFileAppender) only denotes the (root-) file name which is
>overridden in code while initializing the loggers.
>
>The problem is now, that the LogManager on it's own initialization creates
>the file which is declared within the configuration file (<param
>name="file" value="log.log"/>). This file is never used afterwards. I
>would like to avoid the creation of this file.

What do you mean by LogManager has its own initialization? You mean default
initialization? If the default initialization is not needed than why do you
go through with it?

--
Ceki Gülcü