Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Looser Dominic <Do...@scch.at> on 2012/04/30 14:02:53 UTC

Local part of uri containing just digits

Dear Jena Community

I want to mint uri's of the form http://foo/123 <http://foo/123> .

If I set the prefix with

   model.setNsPrefix("foo", "http://foo/)

and serialize into turtle, the uris stay like the are.

  model.shortForm(http://foo/123) gives the expected foo:123.

Why does Jena behave that way and is there a way to circumvent it?

Best,

Dominic

Re: Local part of uri containing just digits

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 30/04/12 19:45, Dominic Looser wrote:
> Thanks for the helpful information!
> I need these data just locally, so interoperability with
> other systems is not an issue. I'm just not sure if I should
> leave it this way, live with the slithly uglier turtle-file and wait
> for a jena adaptation. Or make some compromise like http://foo/s123
> which is also slithly ugly. It's important for me that I don't have to
> change the uri's afterwards. So, what's your opinion about that?

If you are that desperate, run a perl script on the output!

> Can somebody estimate, if and when that will be a feature in jena?

That's not how it works - please make a contribution

What would be good is maturing the new Turtle writer started in:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/Scratch/AFS/Dev/trunk/src/main/java/projects/riot_writer/TurtleWriter2.java

It's time to clear up, go a bit fatser (it's more streaming) and make
ready for TriG (can embed in a TriG writer).

Currently it writes - it's less tested and the layout is less
sophisticated but maybe that is a good thing!

> On 30.04.2012, at 17:50, Robert Vesse wrote:
>
>> Sarven is correct in that Turtle as currently specified does not permit
>> leading digits in the local part of a Qname
>>
>> The in progress Turtle standardization effort of the W3C RDF Working Group
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/) is proposing revisions to the Turtle spec
>> that will eventually allow this.
>>
>> I don't believe we have a writer currently that can write Turtle in the
>> new format - can you confirm this Andy?
>>
>> Even if we did I suspect it would not be the default as for backwards
>> compatibility and maximum interoperability of systems it will make sense
>> to consume the new standard by default on reads but respect the old
>> standard on writes (Postel's law in action)

Exactly - the writer is conservative.

Rather than dribbling out incompatibilities, I think making sure the
formats are formally fixed (they are not at the moment) and doing with
other RDF 1.1 changes makes sense.

We may need to ensure various compatibility aspects with RDF 1.0.

	Andy

Posted by Dominic Looser <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Posted by Sarven Capadisli <in...@csarven.ca>.