Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/21 00:11:10 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC5

Hi,

I'd like to call a vote for releasing Commons Collections 4.0 based on
RC5 and hope that people are still willing to review and vote for this RC.

 Changes since RC4:

  * [COLLECTIONS-502] Resolved generic parameter inconsistency for
    various static fields, e.g. BagUtils.EMPTY_BAG,
    TruePredicate.INSTANCE and many others. All accessible static
    fields use raw types so that they can be used directly without
    explicit casting. To avoid compiler warnings about unchecked
    conversion and/or rawtypes use the corresponding factory methods,
    e.g. BagUtils.emptyBag().
    Note: static fields where this was not possible, e.g.
    StringValueTransformer and InstantiateTransformer, have been made
    private to avoid problems. The factory methods should be used in
    these cases.
  * Cosmetic cleanups, removal of redundant stuff, e.g. imports, scope
    qualifiers in interfaces, implements by Gary Gregory.

 Changes since RC3:

  * [COLLECTIONS-501] Renamed methods "V MultiKeyMap#remove(Object,
    Object, ...)" to "V MultiKeyMap#removeMultiKey(Object, Object,
    ...)" to avoid future conflicts with a default method of the Map
    interface in Java 8.
  * [COLLECTIONS-500] Renamed "V MultiMap#remove(K, V)" to "boolean
    MultiMap#removeMapping(K, V)" to avoid future conflicts with a
    default method of the Map interface in Java 8.
  * fixed compilation problem with IBM JDK 5
  * fixed test failures with IBM JDK 6 by disabling some of them in
    case the tests are executed with such a JDK
  * added note to the release notes (textual version) wrt disabled tests

 Changes since RC2:

  * [COLLECTIONS-499] Refactored the test framework for Bag
    implementations to extend from "AbstractCollectionTest" by
    decorating the concrete Bag instance with a CollectionBag or
    CollectionSortedBag.
  * [COLLECTIONS-498] "CollectionBag" will now also respect the
    contract of the decorated bag in case a null argument is provided
    to either removeAll or retainAll.
  * [COLLECTIONS-497] Added bag decorator "CollectionSortedBag" which
    decorates a SortedBag to make it comply with the Collection
    contract.
  * [COLLECTIONS-496] "UnmodifiableBoundedCollection" does now also
    implement the marker interface "Unmodifiable" similar as all other
    unmodifiable decorators.
  * [COLLECTIONS-495] "UnmodifiableTrie#unmodifiableTrie(Trie)" will
    not decorate again an already unmodifiable Trie. Also the return
    type has been changed to "Trie" to be consistent with other
    Unmodifiable decorators.
  * [COLLECTIONS-494] Moved "Equator" interface to base package for
    consistency. Thanks to Emmanuel Bourg.
  * improved release notes with suggestions from Emmanuel Bourg
  * added unit tests for TrieUtils and QueueUtils and factory methods
    for all Unmodifiable decorators
  * added more unit tests for the Queue interface
  * cleanup of many test classes: removed unused imports, unneeded
    constructors

 Changes since RC1:

  * release notes are now also included in the binary distribution
  * removed spurious hashCode() method in AbstractPatriciaTrie, the
    inherited one from AbstractMap will be used instead

  Collections 4.0 RC5 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/
    (svn revision 3628)

  Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-162/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.0/

  The tag is here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_4_0_RC5/
    (svn revision 1543981)

  Site:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.0/RC5/

  Details of changes can be found in the release notes:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.0/RC5/changes-report.html

Please review the release candidate and vote.
This vote will close no sooner than 72 hours from now.

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Note: the clirr report is generated against 4.0-alpha1 and it is also
highlighted in the release notes that this release is not compatible
with any previous release.

Thank you for your reviews,

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC5

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/23/2013 04:29 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> Am 23.11.2013 15:56, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>> For those of you with +1's: Did you test the SVN tag or the src zip? Did
>>> you see the same RAT issue I did?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Gary
>>
>> yes, I saw two unknown licenses in the RAT report. I was testing on
>> windows. Maybe this depends on the platform?
>>
>> Anyway, this is certainly not a blocker.
>>

> Agreed, but rather odd that two files stand out where others with the same
> extension in the same folder do not raise a flag. I just wonder if this is
> symptomatic of something else.

It looks like an encoding problem with the binary guess of rat.
I downloaded the rat distribution and did run the following test:

System.setProperty("file.encoding", "Windows-1252");
assertTrue(BinaryGuesser.isBinary(new FileDocument(new
File("obj/NullComparator.version4.obj1"))));

fails for this encoding, but succeeds for other encodings.

The reason why all the other files work is due to the way rat detects
binary files:

 * first check the filename for known binary extensions
 * inspect the content (I think the first 200 bytes)

These files are called .obj1 and .obj2, all the others are called .obj,
so they are immediately detected as binary without inspecting their content.

Thomas

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC5

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/21/2013 11:13 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I hit 'send' by error. Here it my real message:
>
> I downloaded the src zip file and tested with 'mvn clean site' with:
>
> Apache Maven 3.1.1 (0728685237757ffbf44136acec0402957f723d9a; 2013-09-17
> 11:22:22-0400)
> Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.1.1\bin\..
> Java version: 1.7.0_45, vendor: Oracle Corporation
> Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_45\jre
> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
> OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"
>
> RAT reports:
>
> Unapproved licenses:
>
>   src/test/resources/data/test/NullComparator.version4.obj1
>
>   src/test/resources/data/test/NullComparator.version4.obj2
>
> But RAT does not complain about all the other .obj files?
>
> The RAT report on
> https://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.0/RC5/rat-report.htmlis
> OK.
>
> How can that be?

I can only guess that in your environment these files are not detected
to be binary (for which there is no Apache license header required).

I never tested on Windows, but have never seen something like this in my
environment. To be sure we should exclude the whole directory from the
rat report to avoid this in the future.

Thomas

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Testing withL

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Thomas,

Thomas Neidhart wrote:

> [...]
>
>   The tag is here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_4_0_RC5/
>     (svn revision 1543981)
>
>   Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.0/RC5/
>
>   Details of changes can be found in the release notes:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.0/RC5/changes-report.html
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner than 72 hours from now.
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>
> Note: the clirr report is generated against 4.0-alpha1 and it is also
> highlighted in the release notes that this release is not compatible

+1, builds for all but one JDK flawlessly from source. I still have 2
failing tests for IBM JDK 1.6:

Failed tests:
  AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue:1656
expected:<true> but was:<false>
  AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue:1656
expected:<true> but was:<false>

However, since we already blamed that JDK, it does not influence the
release.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC5

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tested building "mvn clean site" from src zip file with:

Apache Maven 3.1.1 (0728685237757ffbf44136acec0402957f723d9a; 2013-09-17
11:22:22-0400)
Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.1.1\bin\..
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_45\jre
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

All the reports look good with the noted oddity in the RAT report as
discussed in this thread.

Gary

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi Thomas,

did the same checks as for the last RC, everything looks good. So here
is my +1.

Oliver

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-11-21, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

> I'd like to call a vote for releasing Commons Collections 4.0 based on
> RC5 and hope that people are still willing to review and vote for this RC.

+1

and thanks again

Stefan

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC5

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
And you have my late +1 as well.

Emmanuel Bourg