Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2006/07/09 18:30:01 UTC

Project M2 POM for Geronimo

At the moment we have a root POM that contains lots of version
information.  I propose that we have a root POM that is insensitive to
version releases and just contains project information like mailing
lists, etc.  This root POM could then be shared by specs and the regular
geronimo root as well as anything else we decide to spin off into its
own SVN root.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Alan

Re: Project M2 POM for Geronimo

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
FYI, I implemented what I had described before on this branch:

     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/
m2migration/

Using this branch/project for the shared configuration:

     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/genesis/

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This is what I recommend... though from what I have tried so far,
this root pom probably don't really be a root, but a child pom of a
separate project and then uses as the parent of other projects root pom.

I have started to setup a container project for build related modules
called Genesis, currently under:

     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/genesis/

This project has two major trees: config and plugins.  The config
modules are used to pull in common build configuration., and plugins
are regular plugins and support modules for plugins for common G
plugins.  I recommend that we create a project-config module here,
that defines the basic elements that will be shared by all Geronimo
projects built with m2.

I also recommend that we enumerate commonly used plugins and their
versions here.  I've run into problems before using RELEASE plugins
when a new release is pushed out that breaks builds (configuration
change or functionality change).

This is also a good place to put the common release profiles with
distro configuration as well as the basic site generation
configuration, which all projects should ideally share.