Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by James Page <ja...@ubuntu.com> on 2013/08/17 22:26:49 UTC

The Juju Charm Championship: I can't win $10k but you can!

Hi Bigtop Dev's and Users

I'd like to bring to your attention the Juju Charm Championship (see
[0]) that was announce a couple of months ago.

For those of you that don't know Juju is the service orchestration
tool for Ubuntu Server which can be used to develop and deploy stacks
of services on anything from your laptop (for development and testing
using LXC containters) to Clouds (ec2 and OpenStack based) and onto
bare-metal servers using Ubuntu Metal-as-a-Service (see [1] and [2]
for full details).

A Juju Charm is the encapsulation of how to deploy a specific service,
such as Hadoop for example, how that service should relate to other
services over its lifecycle, and how to scale up (and down) that service.

The championship specifically has a $10k award for a Juju stack providing:

Data Science / Data Mining - represents a full stack of data mining
and “big data” analysis.

Bigtop provides some easily consumable packages to deliver this type
of service; and I'm sure that users of Bigtop have some great
use-cases that could be charmed up using these packages - and besides
- - you might just win $10k if your charmed service really rocks!

I'd really love to see a Bigtop based Charm stack win the prize in
this category - maybe the charms could also form part of future Bigtop
releases for other users to consume as well!

If you are interested in hacking on this and going for the big $$ win
take a read through the details at [0] and register for the championship.

The Juju Charm community generally hang out on #juju on Freenode IRC -
we also have a ML for more async communications (see [3])

And why can't I win $10k? Well unfortunately employee's of Canonical
are excluded from entry to the Championship... but that does not
exclude me from helping out with general charm best practices and
review if asked!

Enjoy - and good luck!

James

[0] https://juju.ubuntu.com/charm-championship/
[1] http://juju.ubuntu.com
[2] http://maas.ubuntu.com

- --
James Page
Ubuntu and Debian Developer
james.page@ubuntu.com
jamespage@debian.org

The Juju Charm Championship: I can't win $10k but you can!