Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> on 2006/09/10 19:39:21 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Fastfail handlers

Hi,
after i talk with Stefano and later noel in skype the some idea raised.
Here it is:

1. Change every fastfail filter to allow more actions then reject. It
should be possible to assign socres to a handler when it match. So the
admin can react on such scores later. Something like:

<handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.core.filter.fastfail.DNSRBLHandler" onCommand="RCPT">
    <action> reject </action>
</handler>

or:

<handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.core.filter.fastfail.DNSRBLHandler" onCommand="RCPT">
    <action> +10 </action>
</handler>

2. Create an class which represent the object to store the scores in. It
should provide a HashMap with the handler as key and the score it
stores. Also methods for acess the data and modify it etc.
Something like:

int getCompleteStoredScores();
HashMap getStoredScores();
String getStoredScore(String key);
void setStoredScore(String key, int score);
void resetStoredScores();

3. Add handler/mailet/matcher to react on the score.
Maybe something like:

<handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.core.filter.fastfail.ScoreHandler">
    <rejectScore> 100 </rejectScore>
</handler>

Any ideas etc ?

bye
Norman

Re: [PROPOSAL] Fastfail handlers

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hi,
> after i talk with Stefano and later noel in skype the some idea raised.
> Here it is:
>
> 1. Change every fastfail filter to allow more actions then reject. It
> should be possible to assign socres to a handler when it match. So the
> admin can react on such scores later. Something like:
>
> <handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.core.filter.fastfail.DNSRBLHandler" onCommand="RCPT">
>     <action> reject </action>
> </handler>
>
> or:
>
> <handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.core.filter.fastfail.DNSRBLHandler" onCommand="RCPT">
>     <action> +10 </action>
> </handler>

+1
I would use a text identifier even for the score rule:
<action> junkScore: 10 </action>
(maybe we should also be able to specify what key to use when storing
the score in the map because we could have multiple handler having the
same class bug configured differently).

> 2. Create an class which represent the object to store the scores in. It
> should provide a HashMap with the handler as key and the score it
> stores. Also methods for acess the data and modify it etc.
> Something like:
>
> int getCompleteStoredScores();
> HashMap getStoredScores();
> String getStoredScore(String key);
> void setStoredScore(String key, int score);
> void resetStoredScores();

+1

> 3. Add handler/mailet/matcher to react on the score.
> Maybe something like:
>
> <handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.core.filter.fastfail.ScoreHandler">
>     <rejectScore> 100 </rejectScore>
> </handler>
>
> Any ideas etc ?

s/ScoreHandler/JunkScoreHandler/