Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/05 03:24:53 UTC

wiki main page needs to be ported to website one page

building from source is always a good refresher in using the
documentation - in my case, it meant going to the web site.   Er, sorry,
the web site really sucks, really bad.  Cant' find anything. The one
page idea is actually nice but the content is totally useless.

But I did manage to find the wiki - the main wiki page is excellent -
it's exactly what the web site should be.  btw the install instructions
on the wiki for linux are very good and easy to follow - kudos to
whoever wrote it.  One addition might be a reminder to remove any system
package that might be installed (some of us need that) - and maybe a
note about the dev test

I saw some discussion re the one page but wasn't following it.  Are
there plans to port the main wiki page over to the web site ?  is
someone already doing that or does it need help ? or does someone
actually think the website is good as is ?

Re: wiki main page needs to be ported to website one page

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey John,

thanks for the feedback.

On Nov 5, 2012, at 02:24 , john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> building from source is always a good refresher in using the documentation - in my case, it meant going to the web site.   Er, sorry, the web site really sucks, really bad.  Cant' find anything. The one page idea is actually nice but the content is totally useless.

Noah and I made that site.

People building from source were not in the group of people we designed this for. While linked through to the wiki, the dev information should be findable, but the focus on the front page is to give a quick intro into what CouchDB is and have enough pointers for everybody else.

> But I did manage to find the wiki - the main wiki page is excellent - it's exactly what the web site should be.  btw the install instructions on the wiki for linux are very good and easy to follow - kudos to whoever wrote it.  One addition might be a reminder to remove any system package that might be installed (some of us need that) - and maybe a note about the dev test
>
> I saw some discussion re the one page but wasn't following it.  Are there plans to port the main wiki page over to the web site ?  is someone already doing that or does it need help ? or does someone actually think the website is good as is ?

Since the website is a pain to maintain, we moved most everything to the wiki, so we all can contribute easily. The One-Page is merely a quick intro and pointers into the wiki.

This isn’t to say the website is all perfect, but I don't think we should revert that particular decision. If you have any patches for the website, I’m happy to review & apply.

The source lives here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/site

Cheers
Jan

Re: wiki main page needs to be ported to website one page

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 5 November 2012 03:24, john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> building from source is always a good refresher in using the documentation -
> in my case, it meant going to the web site.   Er, sorry, the web site really
> sucks, really bad.  Cant' find anything. The one page idea is actually nice
> but the content is totally useless.
>
> But I did manage to find the wiki - the main wiki page is excellent - it's
> exactly what the web site should be.  btw the install instructions on the
> wiki for linux are very good and easy to follow - kudos to whoever wrote it.
> One addition might be a reminder to remove any system package that might be
> installed (some of us need that) - and maybe a note about the dev test
>
> I saw some discussion re the one page but wasn't following it.  Are there
> plans to port the main wiki page over to the web site ?  is someone already
> doing that or does it need help ? or does someone actually think the website
> is good as is ?

Hi John,

I'd thought post 1.3 of slowly migrating much of the wiki content into
.rst format and the source tree. A lot of the wiki info is related to
older versions, having it stored in git means:

- we can remove the non-current information
- make it available through the website as a link to 0.11.0 or whatever

And yes, it does need help.

The one-page website is ideal as a sales story but we should make it
simpler / easier to find other stuff.

Building from source is one of those things that is a massive hurdle
the first few times you try it, then embarassingly obvious later on,
so one forgets what is important.  Even just adding your roadblocks
into a jira ticket will help enormously in reminding us what needs to
be fixed.

A+
Dave