Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by BUZZHOST_STINGER <ev...@buzzhost.co.uk> on 2009/06/01 16:12:45 UTC

Re: Barracuda Blacklist

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 14:39 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
> On 29-May-2009, at 07:32, Andy Dorman wrote:
> > 1. I could not find out WHY our IPs (we have a block of 32 for the
> > cluster of servers that my email was being sent from) were being
> > listed

I do have to add this would be a lie. A call to Barracuda support and
they will happily go through their evidence database with you.

If your block was on the reputation list, it would have been because you
were sending spam. It's really that simple.

The 'join emailreg.org' is the usual old B/S they give to non
co-operative mongs that call them.

Much that I hate Barracuda for their digital shoplifting, they are
unlike the money grabbers at $pamhaus and the cbl assholes. You can call
them and they will tell you the date, time and quantity of the crap your
IP has sent. Their data is good - very good. They even keep details of
how many of their users marked the message as spam. So please go right
ahead an call them and raise a 'BBL NON CUSTOMER CASE'.

UK CONTACT: Adam Light +44 (0)1256 300102
US CONTACT: Jan Gobble ++1 408 342 5300

What is the IP range you have? I don't see it in the thread any place.

Re: Barracuda Blacklist

Posted by Andy Dorman <ad...@ironicdesign.com>.
BUZZHOST_STINGER wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 14:39 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
>> On 29-May-2009, at 07:32, Andy Dorman wrote:
>>> 1. I could not find out WHY our IPs (we have a block of 32 for the
>>> cluster of servers that my email was being sent from) were being
>>> listed
>
> I do have to add this would be a lie. A call to Barracuda support and
> they will happily go through their evidence database with you.
>
> If your block was on the reputation list, it would have been because you
> were sending spam. It's really that simple.

Sorry, I was not explicit enough when saying I could not find out WHY we were
blocked.  After spending a couple of hours at their site trying to figure out
how to register our service, I gave up.  At the time I did not know emailreg.org
was a part of Baracudda.  And if you look on their site (I just made a fresh
pass) their "Contact us" is an email form.

As for sending spam and getting listed, the crazy thing is that we don't send
ANY email other than mail like this (which actually originates from a different
IP block) and the email that is addressed to our customers and is passed by our
filters (SA plus some other metrics we have added).  And that email only goes to
our customer's destination email servers.  Of course, a small % of that will be
spam (except when someone does something stupid on their white list and puts
something like yahoo.com in it).

> The 'join emailreg.org' is the usual old B/S they give to non
> co-operative mongs that call them.

Ahhh.  That makes sense in a twisted sort of way.

So, I hope this explains that I was not lying.  I just did not see a
fast/obvious way to get info on how our IP got black listed.  And by the time I
had more info, the blacklist had been lifted, again with no apparent reason.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.