Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Cory Isaacson <ci...@compuflex.com> on 2003/08/08 07:50:49 UTC

Thread Safety

We have been using Xalan for 2+ years, and have been caching the Transformer
object and sharing it among users. In reading the Trax specs it appears that
we should be caching the Templates object, and getting a new Transformer for
each thread instance. When we tried this it used twice as much memory to do
the transformation, so this is not a good option for us.

We have never had a thread problem to date in over two years, but I am
wondering if this is really an unsafe practice with Xalan, or if we can just
leave it as-is and continue to share the Transformer.

Thanks,

Cory