Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by misha680 <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/14 18:43:12 UTC

mvn-eclipse plugin resolution/installation of Eclipse plug-ins from _Eclipse_ update sites, not maven?

Dear All:

My sincerest apologies if I am misreading:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/install-plugins-mojo.html
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Eclipse+Plugin

but my understanding is that these commands will install an Eclipse plug in
from a _Maven_ repository.

However, it would be neat to have the ability to install Eclipse plug-ins
from within Maven from an Eclipse update site.

There is p2 director functionality:
http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/p2_director.html

but in my (limited) experience, this seems somewhat limited at resolving
dependencies (at least if I install the exact same IUs using command line
director and GUI and/or code such as:
http://svn.openmrs.org/openmrs-contrib/eclipse/devstudio-simple/

I do _not_ get the same results.

In any case, I was wondering if any work was being done on this or planned
to be done on this, or if this was considered something outside the scope of
the Maven eclipse plugin project.

Thank you

Yours
Misha Koshelev