Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/25 16:12:22 UTC

Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Hey all,
I finally figured out a way to host a maven repository on googlecode.
This should greatly simplify using googlecode hosted plugins in Struts
2.  For me, it's also much nicer to use maven to deploy than trying to
get a jar manually uploaded into the central repository.  Instructions
on how to use this repo for Struts 2 projects are at:
http://code.google.com/p/struts2plugin-maven-repo/

Anyone who has a plugin hosted at googlecode can use this maven
repository to host their plugin.  (I've already added several developers
that I know of, if your not in the list let me know)  I've also already
added several of my more popular plugins.  I plan on adding the rest as
time permits.  Please look at the scope plugin (on googlecode) for an
example of how to configure maven to deploy to this repository.
Tom

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.
Wendy,
I'm all for syncing it with the central repository, it's just a
question of how.  Googlecode doesn't give shell access so I have no
access to cron to sync things up.  I could sync it up manually by
checking it out and running the rsync on my local machine, but that
seems less than ideal.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> I was involved with the Sourceforge project Ted mentioned, as well as
> having a couple of S2 plugins in the registry now... my question, which I
> had for the Sourceforge project too, was why not host this at Apache and
> have it under Struts itself?  If we're talking about CLAs for GC
> contributions now too, I'm not sure I see the difference.  If it's a
> question of perception, i.e., if it's external than no plugin is
> officially endorsed or anything, that seems to run contrary to listing
> developers and all that's being talked about here.  I can't imagine
> there's infrastructure issues that couldn't be dealt with.
>
> Why wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't/*dn't this be put officially under the
> Struts umbrella and hosted alongside Struts itself?

I assume for the same reason we had to switch datepickers: license issues ?

- Phil

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
If we're focusing on plugins and trying to build a community/ecosystem
around them, it's probably best to write an article about how to roll
your own. Part of that article could certainly include dissecting an
existing plugin.

I'll e-mail you privately with my Developer Works contact.

Matt

http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Nov 27, 2007 12:35 PM, Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Struts 2 must be the most 'quiet' framework I have ever encountered
> (for such a big & mature framework) It's like there never was a hype
> fase (probably due to the webwork inheritance) - note: hype is used in
> a positive. And yes, I'm as guilty as the next one for not raving
> about it more on the internet (probably even more lately).

Historically, we've channeled our effort into helping people on the
user list, and quietly promoting third-party resources. In fact, it's
probably time to break the "other resources" section into its own
page.

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/home.html#Home-OtherResources

For us, the "Build! Deploy! Maintain!" bit on the S2 home page is
radical hype! :)

Of course, please remember we come from the Apache HTTPD tradition
(http://httpd.apache.org), where what matter is that the system just
plain works.

People do often tell me things like "Struts works great for us. I
don't think we've ever found a bug in Struts 1." Or, that "the hardest
part of Struts 1 development is that, it's so easy, our developers are
bored".

Out in the blogosphere, people have to hype other frameworks.
Otherwise, the only one anyone would ever use is Struts 1. :)

> We have quite some plugins, some have been downloaded over a 1000
> times, yet it seems unnaturally quiet on the plugin front. Is it
> indeed due to 'bad marketing' ? Or do users just don't care ?

Many of the plugins are esoteric and may not have a lot of users yet.
Or, they might just work, and don't generate a lot of support request
(a al Stripes).

We could also use a prettier repository page, and a prettier S2 site
in general. People are doing some nice work with the autoexport style
sheets these days. Take a tour of <http://cwiki.apache.org/>. (Though
I don't know what's going to happen if we upgrade to Confluence 2.6.x,
since the stylesheet support has changed.)

-Ted.

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by hu...@apache.org.
> Voila, that's the kind of thing that we'd need more.

(Speaking to no one in particular.)

If I was going to pull a rabbit out of my hat ... I think it would be labeled "patches". :(

 * https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10740

Though, now that the build is working for me again (thanks Nils!), I can go back to trying to apply at least one a day.

-Ted.

Plugin Article/Pamphlet, was: Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
I'm writing a short (30-40pp) Lulu PDF on creating
plugins-with-tags as part of the jQuery tags.

d.

=== message truncated ===

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
The site looks *horrible* in IE6, at least on my
machine. I just never use it, so I had no idea.

d.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Tue, November 27, 2007 12:15 pm, Philip Luppens wrote:
> On 11/27/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
>> I don't disagree with most of what you say here, and what Phillip says
>> in
>> his reply, so let me make a more concrete suggestion: make the plugin
>> registry much more prominent on the Struts home page (that is to say,
>> mention it at all, since I don't see it on the front page anywhere at
>> present).
>
> It has a 150px wide button in yellow on the homepage [1] ;-)
> But I agree that it might need a bit more 'marketing'.

Really?!?  I'm either the biggest idiot on the face of the planet (which
some might say is true regardless, but I digress) or I'm a lot blinder
than I thought... I don't see it.  It's not out of the realm of
possibility that the proxy here at work has an older version of the page
cached, I've seen that happen before, but I'm not seeing a big yellow
button anywhere on struts.apache.org.  What part of the page specifically
is it in?

> - Phil

Frank

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I don't disagree with most of what you say here, and what Phillip says in
his reply, so let me make a more concrete suggestion: make the plugin
registry much more prominent on the Struts home page (that is to say,
mention it at all, since I don't see it on the front page anywhere at
present).  That way, it looks much more "official" and "endorsed", but

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> The other fairly obvious concern that I thought of after that last reply
> is how to deal with plugin authors... if these third-party plugins are
> hosted at Apache, their authors clearly would need some degree of commit
> priveleges to their own code bases.  There's two ways I could see to deal
> with that.
>
> First, assuming there is infrastructure to do this (which I don't know to
> be the case), is to go ahead and make them commiters for their particular
> plugin only.  This might be a nice way for people to gradually get more
> involved in Struts and Apache in general.  Could actually foster the
> community even more in the long-run.  I'm not aware of any project that's
> a precedent for this, maybe Commons?  But just because something has never
> been done before doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried.

That could mean a lot of work and lots of permissions to keep track
off. Why not simply let a plugin project 'grow' over at googlecode,
and move it to Apache once it's deemed ready ? Yes, I understand that
would mean that the 'golden plugins' problem is real, but then again,
it'll happen anyways if you move some of them over. And then of
course, there's the problem of determining if a project is 'worthy' of
being transferred to Apache.

All in all, I'm more in favor of keeping plugins at googlecode. If you
want/need access to a particular project, then I'm fairly sure you'd
get it pretty easily, and together with Tom's maven repo and the
'official' plugin registry, I'd say that's the fairest/easiest
solution.

My 2 cents, of course,

Phil

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Tue, November 27, 2007 11:02 am, Dave Newton wrote:
> Licensing?

The licensing issue, which Phil mentioned too, could be... I'm not sure
what the policy is around that, i.e., can a project hosted at Apache have
a non-ASL license?  I'm not at all sure that's insurmountable though even
if it's not allowed... how many of the existing third-party plugins
currently aren't under the ASL (I'd bet few if any), and of those that
aren't, how many of those authors would have an issue with switching to
the ASL (also would bet not many)... I wouldn't think it would be too
onerous to say, as a policy statement, that if you want your plugin to be
in the Apache-hosted registry then you have to be under the ASL (if that's
actually a foundation requirement in the first place), and those that
don't want to be under that license can host externally but at least still
be listed in the Apache-hosted registry (with an asterisk next to it, ala
Barry Bonds- LOL).

> I don't want to encourage a situation where there's a
> perception of "golden" plugins vs. everything else,
> and I'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that projects
> hosted under the Apache umbrella would have to be
> Apache-licensed.

This is my concern too, but I have a hard time believing that won't
automatically happen simply by being hosted outside Apache... I mean, how
many people, when I released the Ajax-enabled HTML taglib years ago,
thought it was second-class simply because it was on the Sourceforge site
and not under Apache itself?  Would it have gotten more uptake if it was
in some "add-ons" subproject (for lack of a better term) of Struts?  I
don't know, but I don't think it's a crazy thought.  I'd hate to see any
third-party plugin, mine, yours or anyone's, not get the same sort of
attention as those entirely under the Struts umbrella, which it seems
everyone agrees with so far.

It may be nothing more than a matter of perception and nothing more, but I
think externally-hosted projects will automatically have a connotation of
not being "golden" as you say, no matter what else is done to say
otherwise, as I believe happened with the Sourceforge-hosted items.  I may
be wrong, but that's what I believe to be the case.

> d.

f(rank) :)

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Licensing?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Nov 27, 2007 3:54 AM, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> The notion being that instead of everyone starting up one-off
> projects, we could have one GC project that anyone with a Google ID
> could join and use to maintain a "third-party" Struts 2 plugin -- a
> Struts 2 Plugin Commons.
>
> Of course, the group could still have a select group of owners that
> could remove someone who joined and then turned out to be a troll.

Better yet, we could use "wiki rules" and open the GC project to
anyone who has filed a CLA with the ASF. In that way, if we later
decide to incubate a GC plugin, the paperwork will already be in
place. The project would need its own list for commits, but we could
defer other support to the Struts lists, to keep it all in one place
(and help popularize the plugins).

I should mention that we did something similar at SourceForge. The
project trailed off after awhile, but I think the plugin model
simplifies the notion of a project devoted to contributor extensions
with a low bar to admission.

-Ted.

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 4:21 AM, Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > By this 'commons' project, do you mean that (some of) these projects
> > should become consolidated (thus giving up their own googlecode page)
> > ? Or would it just be a listing with news and information (=plugin
> > registry), and a global maven repository (Tom's project) ?
>
> I'd say "could" instead of "should", but yes, everyone in the commons
> project would share the one GoogleCode repository, and, by extension,
> we'd all have write access to all the code.
>

> > On a side note: what could be useful would be an overview of all
> > plugin developers and their contact details, so that when a new
> > project gets started, they can be added and/or contacted when
> > required. It could be nice to get an idea of who's interested in
> > helping out developing/maintaining plugins.
>
> One effect of a commons would be that the members list would also be a
> list of some of hte people who have been working on Struts 2 plugins.
> Another effect would be there would be less need to contact someone,
> since everyone in that project would have access to the code, in case
> something needs to be done.

Sounds ok to me. If people want to keep the control over their
plugins, they can just keep their own project page and repository like
we're doing now.

What would be the name ? struts2-plugins ? struts2-commons ? struts2-extra ?

What would happen with the maven repository ? Should it be kept as a
seperate project, or also consolidated into the new project ? I can
imagine there being plugins that are not in the central repository, so
maybe standalone would be better (even if only to have limited access
control).

- Phil

Re: Googlecode Maven Repository for External Struts 2 Plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Nov 27, 2007 1:21 AM, Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a side note: what could be useful would be an overview of all
> plugin developers and their contact details, so that when a new
> project gets started, they can be added and/or contacted when
> required. It could be nice to get an idea of who's interested in
> helping out developing/maintaining plugins.

When a new plugin gets started, an announcement of that on this list
should be sufficient. If plugin developers are not tracking the Struts
Dev list, their plugins are quite likely to go stale and get out of
sync with the rest of the project.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.