Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Jeremy Ford <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2004/06/04 20:32:27 UTC

RE: PortletBrowseAction.java

I have copied the Jetspeed Development list into the discussion.  This is
the preferred mechanism for questions of this nature.

In answer to you questions, I am not sure how the Group attribute on
categories was originally supposed to work.  You assessment of how it should
work seems plausible to me, but unfortunately, that is not how it works
currently.  I believe that David Sean Taylor helped with the category
implementation and may have more insight.

When I wrote the portlet browsing filter functionality, I intentionally set
it up to work this way.  The reason is that is the way the customizer's
category filter has worked in the past.  I did not want to change the
behavior of the customizer filter and did not want to have a filter that did
not work the same way in the portlet browser.

If you wish to change it, I would suggest doing the following (off the top
of my head).  Add a new filterPortlets method to the PortletFilter that
takes a user as a parameter.  Change both CustomizerSetAction and
PortletBrowserAction to make use of this.

If you do make any changes and wish to seem them incorporated into Jetspeed,
please create a bug/enhancement report in JIRA
(http://nagoya.apache.org/jira) and add a patch file with you changes.

Thanks.

Jeremy Ford.
jford@apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jun 4, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Jeremy Ford wrote:

> I have copied the Jetspeed Development list into the discussion.  This
> is the preferred mechanism for questions of this nature.
>
> In answer to you questions, I am not sure how the Group attribute on
> categories was originally supposed to work.  You assessment of how it
> should work seems plausible to me, but unfortunately, that is not how
> it works currently.  I believe that David Sean Taylor helped with the
> category implementation and may have more insight.

Groups are simply a way to 'group together' categories into, well,
groups.
The API allows you to filter portlets by group or category or both
There are no real hierarchies, its simply attributes.