Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joe Shomphe <js...@gmail.com> on 2004/07/16 18:28:36 UTC

Parent Vs. Peer Directory Layout

I am currently trying to decide what is the best project layout for
our j2EE project:

BuildProject/

|--main project.xml, maven.xml

EarProject/

|--ear project.xml, maven.xml

WarProject/

|--etc
CoreJarProject/
EjbProject1/

vs

Build Project/main project.xml, maven.xml

|--EarProject/ear project.xml

|----WarProject/ war project.xml

|----etc.

The advantages of layout 1 is that the main project.xml and maven.xml
are stored in separate CVS modules from the Ear, war, ejb projects.
This means that when a project is branched, it doesn't maintain a copy
of the main project and maven.xml files.  It also seems to jive well
with the idea that these projects depend on jar files in the
repository, not on each other.

Layout 2 seems to be more standard.  When using certain tasks (like
the cruise control plugin),  this more hierarchical project structure
seems to be assumed.

Does anyone have any opinions on which one will be "better" in the long run?

Thanks

RE: Parent Vs. Peer Directory Layout

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,

I personally prefer peer layout. It's also the layout used in maven-plugins.

Regards

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruña, Spain

Oness Project