Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Thomas B <th...@googlemail.com> on 2016/04/08 14:42:48 UTC

Capturing Linux Image

Hi all

Wondering if if anyone can provide assistance again. I’m having some problems capturing a Linux image and I’m thinking its how my vm host profile is setup (Vmware esxi-local).

Now its probably due to my lack of understanding on how the capture process works and how vcl essentially provisions VM’s. Is there anything  on the website that details the capture process? I cant seem to find anything.

The errors Im getting are below. My setup is VM’s running on one esxi box (compute node ive called it) and centos running on a separate physical box (vcl-mgmt) which runs the web portal/database ect.

What happens to the vms on the compute node once the capture process starts? Initially I have everything on local storage. Trying to get this work before I try shared storage.

2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:is_vm_dedicated|4025|VM disk mode does not need to be dedicated
2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:initialize|363|not checking if vmdk base directory exists because it is the same as the vmx base directory:

address: 3a5bb20
2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|vcld:make_new_child|584|VCL::image object created and initialized
2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:does_image_exist|4368|image does NOT exist in datastore on VM host ESXI-COMPUTE:

/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmwareubuntu-Kaliv22-v0/vmwareubuntu-Kaliv22-v0.vmdk
2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:get_repository_vmdk_base_directory_path|3908|repository path is not configured in the VM profile
2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:get_repository_vmdk_directory_path|3949|image repository vmdk directory path cannot be determined because
repository path is not configured in the VM profile
2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:does_image_exist|4385|image does not exist on the VM host and image repository path is not configured in the

Thanks for any info

Re: Capturing Linux Image

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.
Thomas,

I haven't tried it, but you may have success with tools from libguestfs.org
for modifying the vmdk files offline.

Josh

Systems Programmer
Advanced Computing | VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

Josh_Thompson@ncsu.edu
919-515-5323

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Capturing Linux Image

Posted by Thomas Beeston <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Josh

Re: FW: Capturing Linux Image

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

FW: Capturing Linux Image

Posted by Thomas B <th...@googlemail.com>.
> [...]

> 3a5bb20
> 2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|vcld:make_new_child|584|VCL::image
> object created and initialized 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:does_image_exist|4368|image does NOT
> exist in datastore on VM host ESXI-COMPUTE:
> /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmwareubuntu-Kaliv22-v0/vmwareubuntu-Kaliv22-v0.vm
> dk 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:get_repository_vmdk_base_directory_path|
> 3908|repository path is not configured in the VM profile 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:get_repository_vmdk_directory_path|3949|
> image repository vmdk directory path cannot be determined because repository
> path is not configured in the VM profile
> 2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:does_image_exist|4385|image
> does not exist on the VM host and image repository path is not configured

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Capturing Linux Image

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Thomas,

Thanks for the update.  Sometimes, we're not so responsive on the weekends.
I'm glad you got it working.

Josh

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:10:31 PM Thomas B wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Just to update, got the capture process working.
>
>  Followed the configuration examples more closely in the VMware config
> section on the website using an exported NFS store on the management node
> (getting NFS working wasn’t fun!) and mounting that on the VM Host as a
> repository.
>
> Going to try more image captures with additional VM’s with extra NIC’s in,
> see how it goes.
>
> tom
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
> Sent: 08 April 2016 13:42
> To: user@vcl.apache.org
> Subject: Capturing Linux Image
>
> Hi all
>
> Wondering if if anyone can provide assistance again. I’m having some
> problems capturing a Linux image and I’m thinking its how my vm host
> profile is setup (Vmware esxi-local).
>
> Now its probably due to my lack of understanding on how the capture process
> works and how vcl essentially provisions VM’s. Is there anything  on the
> website that details the capture process? I cant seem to find anything.
>
> The errors Im getting are below. My setup is VM’s running on one esxi box
> (compute node ive called it) and centos running on a separate physical box
> (vcl-mgmt) which runs the web portal/database ect.
>
> What happens to the vms on the compute node once the capture process starts?
> Initially I have everything on local storage. Trying to get this work
> before I try shared storage.
>
> 2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:is_vm_dedicated|4025|VM disk
> mode does not need to be dedicated 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:initialize|363|not checking if vmdk base
> directory exists because it is the same as the vmx base directory: address:
> 3a5bb20
> 2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|vcld:make_new_child|584|VCL::image
> object created and initialized 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:does_image_exist|4368|image does NOT
> exist in datastore on VM host ESXI-COMPUTE:
> /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmwareubuntu-Kaliv22-v0/vmwareubuntu-Kaliv22-v0.vm
> dk 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:get_repository_vmdk_base_directory_path|
> 3908|repository path is not configured in the VM profile 2016-04-08
> 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:get_repository_vmdk_directory_path|3949|
> image repository vmdk directory path cannot be determined because repository
> path is not configured in the VM profile
> 2016-04-08 02:19:58|14932|1|1|image|VMware.pm:does_image_exist|4385|image
> does not exist on the VM host and image repository path is not configured
> in the
>
> Thanks for any info
- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu