Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org> on 2004/12/31 15:17:41 UTC

How can I build svn with Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?

I have the free Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 optimizing compiler from
Microsoft
and I'm looking at getting svn built with it so that I can build my
pysvn extension
for Python 2.4 (Python dev says that you cannot use MSVC 6.0 for Python
2.4).

gen-make.py does not implement the nmake-vcnet generator that I'm
guessing
is the only way to use the free tools to build an optimised svn.

Do you have plans to add the nmake-vcnet  generator?

Does any one know how hard it is to turn the gen_make generator into the
nmake vcnet generator?

Personally I'm not going to pay £600 for the tools svn requires to
build it.

Barry

Re: How can I build svn with Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Barry Scott wrote:

> I have the free Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 optimizing compiler from
> Microsoft
> and I'm looking at getting svn built with it so that I can build my
> pysvn extension
> for Python 2.4 (Python dev says that you cannot use MSVC 6.0 for
> Python 2.4).

So we have a problem, because I *think* we need MSVC 6 for compatibility
with installed httpd/apr.

> gen-make.py does not implement the nmake-vcnet generator that I'm
> guessing
> is the only way to use the free tools to build an optimised svn.
>
> Do you have plans to add the nmake-vcnet  generator?

No, do you have a patch? :-)

> Does any one know how hard it is to turn the gen_make generator into the
> nmake vcnet generator?

Nobody has tried, AFAIK, but it shouldn't be all that hard. Well, except
that nmake is brain-dead so we probably can't simply reuse the makefile
generator.

> Personally I'm not going to pay £600 for the tools svn requires to
> build it.

You either do that, or provide patches. Sorry if that doesn't sound
nice, but I hardly have time to keep up with the mailing lists these
days, let alone fix the generator.

-- Brane

Re: How can I build svn with Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Barry Scott wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2005, at 20:27, Branko Čibej wrote:
>
>> Barry Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Since posting this I've experimented a little.
>>>
>>> Using get-make.py vcproj I get files that need converting to work
>>> with .net 2003.
>>> It would be better to gen compatible files. (.net 2002 was a screwed
>>> up release,
>>> atleast from the C++ point of view, I doubt you need to support it)
>>

>> Converting how? And why? gen_make.py certainly can generate vcproj's
>> for VC.NET 2003.
>> (And note that SVN is written in C, so I don't care about any C++
>> issues in VS.NET 2002.)
>

> When I open the .SLN in .net 2003 standard edition it says that the
> solution needs converting,

Did you use the option "--vsnet-version=2003"? That causes the correct
version tag to be written into the .sln and .vcproj files.

-- Brane

Re: How can I build svn with Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org>.
On Jan 9, 2005, at 20:27, Branko Čibej wrote:

> Barry Scott wrote:
>
>> Since posting this I've experimented a little.
>>
>> Using get-make.py vcproj I get files that need converting to work
>> with .net 2003.
>> It would be better to gen compatible files. (.net 2002 was a screwed
>> up release,
>> atleast from the C++ point of view, I doubt you need to support it)
>
> Converting how? And why? gen_make.py certainly can generate vcproj's
> for VC.NET 2003.
> (And note that SVN is written in C, so I don't care about any C++
> issues in VS.NET 2002.)

When I open the .SLN in .net 2003 standard edition it says that the
solution needs converting,
I tell it yes convert all projects and it goes to work. I have not
figured out what it changes yet.

>> After conversion I could build SVN, but without optimization.
>>
>> There is a way to get the standard edition to run the optimizing
>> compiler,
>> but you have to generate the optimization options as additional
>> command
>> line switches. Would you support such a change in the vcproj
>> generated files?
>> They work with the devstudio profession version.
>
> Show me the patch. If it's reasonable, then ot course I'd support the
> change.

Thanks for the support. I'll work on a patch.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, January 6, 2005 12:32 PM +0000 Barry Scott
<ba...@barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

> There is a way to get the standard edition to run the optimizing compiler,
> but you have to generate the optimization options as additional command
> line switches. Would you support such a change in the vcproj generated
> files?
> They work with the devstudio profession version.

How invasive is the patch?  -- justin

Re: How can I build svn with Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org>.