Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/18 02:12:54 UTC

Cleanup of Docs section of OOo wiki?

Now that the OOo wiki has been migrated to Apache, is this a good time
for me to start cleaning up the Docs section? Specifically, removing
obsolete info (like references to Clayton and me as Docs Co-Leads and
some of the info in the orientation pages for contributors to Docs).

I could potentially do the same on the Docs portion of the migrated
OOo website, if it's ready for that sort of cleanup.

--Jean

Re: Cleanup of Docs section of OOo wiki?

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:40, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Dec 17, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
>
>> Now that the OOo wiki has been migrated to Apache, is this a good time
>> for me to start cleaning up the Docs section? Specifically, removing
>> obsolete info (like references to Clayton and me as Docs Co-Leads and
>> some of the info in the orientation pages for contributors to Docs).
>
> Certainly. JFDI rules.

Heh. I was thinking more along the lines of "will my edits disappear
when something is updated?" (And thus be a waste of my time.)
Apparently this is not the case, so if/when I find a few spare minutes
(pause for sounds of demented laughter) I shall charge ahead.

Cheers, Jean
(in hot, steamy, tropical Australia)

Re: Cleanup of Docs section of OOo wiki?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Ah no. Jean is trying to get a feel for the
web interface to the documentation.  Jean,
the typical workflow is to go to the live

document on the ooo-site.apache.org page,
then click on the ASF CMS bookmarklet you installed
from the cms.apache.org site.  That will
take you (after maybe a minute or so) to
the page you can use to edit the document.
Clicking on the Edit link will open up a
page with a syntax-hilighted html editor.
When you are done editing the page, check
the "Quick Commit" radio button and type a log
message describing the nature of your edits.
Then hit the Submit button.

If all goes well your changes will be committed
to svn and built to the staging site.  If you
are satisfied with the results then publish
your changes to the live site by clicking on
the Publish Site link and filling out the form.

HTH

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 18, 2011, at 8:20 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> On 2011-12-18 7:01 AM, Jean Weber wrote:
> ...snip...
>> Just checking: when editing am I supposed to be in the raw HTML? (This
>> isn't a problem; I actually prefer to edit in the code. I'm just
>> checking that I'm not missing something.)
>
> It depends.  When editing, you'll be editing the checked-in source that generates that particular page.
>
> In some cases, this is HTML, because that's what we have checked in.  In other cases, it will be .mdtext, or Markdown syntax, because that's what's checked in (and is auto-converted into HTML by the build process underneath the CMS system).
>
> Best overall ref:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html
>
> But note: Dave and many others have done a huge amount of work with the ooo-site build, which uses a variety of different formats and builders to make the site work.

The only markdown in the ooo-site is just added. ooo-site/trunk/templates/topnav.mdtext.

The approach to the html is as follows:

Extract the html in the <head> and in the <body> using sed then these are injected into ooo-site/trunk/templates/skeleton.html

In the the case of ooo-site you will see all html. If the html doesn't display then the extraction has failed. In the most recent case it was because the <body> tag was continued to a second line.

Any html page may be replaced by markdown by adding page.mdtext and removing page.html.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Cleanup of Docs section of OOo wiki?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-12-18 7:01 AM, Jean Weber wrote:
...snip...
> Just checking: when editing am I supposed to be in the raw HTML? (This
> isn't a problem; I actually prefer to edit in the code. I'm just
> checking that I'm not missing something.)

It depends.  When editing, you'll be editing the checked-in source that
generates that particular page.

In some cases, this is HTML, because that's what we have checked in.  In
other cases, it will be .mdtext, or Markdown syntax, because that's
what's checked in (and is auto-converted into HTML by the build process
underneath the CMS system).

Best overall ref:
http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

But note: Dave and many others have done a huge amount of work with the
ooo-site build, which uses a variety of different formats and builders
to make the site work.

- Shane

Re: Cleanup of Docs section of OOo wiki?

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 17, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi Jean,
>
> On Dec 17, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
>
>> Now that the OOo wiki has been migrated to Apache, is this a good time
>> for me to start cleaning up the Docs section? Specifically, removing
>> obsolete info (like references to Clayton and me as Docs Co-Leads and
>> some of the info in the orientation pages for contributors to Docs).
>
> Certainly. JFDI rules.
>

>> I could potentially do the same on the Docs portion of the migrated
>> OOo website, if it's ready for that sort of cleanup.
>
> I was going to ask for help with support in an email. I just uploaded a topbar with breadcrumbs and navigation buttons on the top. It will take an hour for the changes to make it through to http://ooo-site.apache.org/

Well maybe longer there seem to be issues, but Joe is on top of it. Everything worked in my environment, but I do a local and not an svn build.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Jean,