Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by michael freedman <mi...@oracle.com> on 2009/01/15 23:39:45 UTC

Apache Software Foundation as "Supporter" of a JSR to define the Portlet 2.0 Bridge for JavaServer Faces 1.2?

Folks,
  I am the spec lead for JSR 301: the Portlet Bridge specification for
JavaServer Faces 1.2.  The RI work for this JSR is being done at Apache
in the PortletBridge subproject within MyFaces.  For the past year I
have been working under the assumption that I could produce both the
Portlet 1.0 Bridge for JavaServer Faces 1.2 specification and the
Portlet 2.0 Bridge for JavaServer Faces 1.2 under this single JSR.  This
assumption had been vetted by the JCP.  Unfortunately they misunderstood
the methodology I planned to use which called for separate release dates
of the specifications.  They now tell me I need a new JSR to address
this second specification.  As I have an already prepared Early (Public)
Draft and a corresponding implementation we are in the process of
releasing an alpha version of in the Apache PortletBridge subproject, I
would like to get this JSR kicked off/started as quickly as possible to
avoid delays down the line.  I have attached the new JSR proposal.  This
is a more targeted version of the original 301 proposal.  The next step
before submitting to the JCP is to get a list of companies/individuals
that "support" this JSR so I can list them with the proposal. The Apache
Software Foundation was listed in the original proposal and as we are
doing the impl here hope I can list it again.  Can you let me know
(asap) whether I can include the Apache Software Foundation as a supporter?
    -Mike-

Re: Apache Software Foundation as "Supporter" of a JSR to define the Portlet 2.0 Bridge for JavaServer Faces 1.2?

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
I would encourage Apache to support this JSR proposal as well.

I'm not an Apache Member, but I am a PMC for the MyFaces project and the
project lead for the MyFaces Portlet Bridge.  With JSR-301 Oracle has
proven quite effectively that they can work with the open process and
with Apache in general.  They even worked with the JCP to modify the
license on the JSR-301proposed final draft to remove the "terms of use"
clause at the request of Apache.

Also, the MyFaces Portlet Bridge project has already started work on the
implementation of the Portlet 2.0 bridge and it would be nice for Apache
to show their support for the bridge projects going forward.  :)

Just my 2 cents.

Scott