Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2003/01/20 13:40:21 UTC

What is the status of turbine 2.3 and the updated Security Service?

I am in the process of converting my turbine 2.1 app over to 2.2.  In doing
so I am running into a couple of problems that are making me think that what
I really need is 2.3, namely:

1. In my schema I am using javaType="object" for all primary and foreign
keys (for consistency and for the convenience of allowing null values in
foreign keys).  If I use this for foreign key references to USER_ID (in
TURBINE_USER) I run into obvious problems because the 2.2 schema uses the
default javaType of primitive.  I can make this work, but to me it seems
messy to have this mixture of int keys for TURBINE_USER and Integer keys for
my application tables.

2. The security service implementation in 2.2 makes it difficult to add
foreign key relationships to TURBINE_USER.  Again, I can make this work, but
it could be easier.

So my questions are:

1. Are the above two problems addressed by the Henning's updates to the
Security Service?

2. Does the updated Security Service allow for an idMethod of native for the
key columns of the relevant TURBINE_* tables?

3. What else has to happen before 2.3 is ready to go out the door?  If it is
nearly there then I will consider using it now, but I can't afford to deal
with the kind of delay that occurred between 2.1 and 2.2.  I guess I am
after some sort of roadmap/release plan, or at least an ETA for an RC1.

BTW: Now that I am moving on to the latest releases I should hopefully be
able to provide some better feedback and contribute more to documentation.
I am already finding bunches of typos, bad links, etc. on the Turbine and
Torque sites (which I haven't studied in detail for longer than I care to
remember).  It would make life much easier for me (and for the poor
committer that ends up dealing with the patches) if I was able to commit
directly to jakarta-turbine-2 and jakarta-turbine-torque (I am sick of going
through the rigmarole of creating patches, creating Scarab issues, attaching
patches, etc.)

Thanks,

Scott
--