Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ra...@ceskedomeny.cz on 2005/10/04 22:05:28 UTC

server reached --max-clients setting

Hello,

  I got a lot of this messages in my maillog.

Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it
Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it
Oct  4 08:28:53 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it

  In man page for spamd I couldn't find option --max-clients setting,
  where could be a problem?

  I use 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD, p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0_2 compiled
  from ports, qmail-1.03_4 from ports, clamav-0.87 and
  qmail-scanner-1.25_1 from ports too.

--
S pozdravem,
 Bc. Radek Krejca

Re[2]: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by "Bc. Radek Krejca" <ra...@ceskedomeny.cz>.
Hello,

   thank you for responses I try change my start script on FreeBSD
   sa-spamd.sh like this:

   #spamd_flags=${spamd_flags:-"-c -d  -r ${spamd_pidfile} "}
   spamd_flags=${spamd_flags:-"-m 50 -x  -d  -r ${spamd_pidfile} "}

   and I will see. Thank you very much.

4. rijna 2005, 22:57:46, jste napsal(a):
DCWOS> Robert Blayzor wrote:

>>>Since you say your man page doesn't have it, I'll throw you a bone:
>>>
>>>-m number , --max-children=number
>>
>> --max-children != --max-clients.  It's either a typo in the code or some
>> stealth option somewhere. ;-)

DCWOS> --max-children is the setting it should refer to.  The setting was
DCWOS> renamed to better reflect what it actually controls.  The debug message
DCWOS> will be correct in 3.1.1.

DCWOS> Also note that  --max-clients  used to also be the same as  -m  whereas
DCWOS>   --max-children  is also the same as  -m .

DCWOS> Daryl

 Bc. Radek Krejca
 STARNET, s. r. o.
 radek.krejca@ceskedomeny.cz
 http://www.ceskedomeny.cz
 http://www.skdomeny.com
 http://www.starnet.cz
 ICQ: 65895541

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Robert Blayzor wrote:
> JamesDR wrote:
>
>>>  I got a lot of this messages in my maillog.
>>>
>>>Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>>>--max-clients setting, consider raising it
>>>Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>>>--max-clients setting, consider raising it
>>>Oct  4 08:28:53 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>>>--max-clients setting, consider raising it
>
>>Since you say your man page doesn't have it, I'll throw you a bone:
>>
>>-m number , --max-children=number
>
> --max-children != --max-clients.  It's either a typo in the code or some
> stealth option somewhere. ;-)

--max-children is the setting it should refer to.  The setting was
renamed to better reflect what it actually controls.  The debug message
will be correct in 3.1.1.

Also note that  --max-clients  used to also be the same as  -m  whereas
  --max-children  is also the same as  -m .

Daryl

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
JamesDR wrote:
> Ahh, misread, sorry. :-D
> There was a thread recently about this...
> See Daryl C. W. O'Shea's post on 2005-10-2 with the subject "RE: SA tags
> above header info"
>
> It's a typo according to him :-D Anyways, --max-children ( -m) is what
> you are looking for.

Thanks!  I couldn't find my last post on this (there's been at least
four now).

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
Robert Blayzor wrote:
> JamesDR wrote:
>
>>>  I got a lot of this messages in my maillog.
>>>
>>>Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>>>--max-clients setting, consider raising it
>>>Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>>>--max-clients setting, consider raising it
>>>Oct  4 08:28:53 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>>>--max-clients setting, consider raising it
>>>

>>Since you say your man page doesn't have it, I'll throw you a bone:
>>
>>-m number , --max-children=number
>

> --max-children != --max-clients.  It's either a typo in the code or some
> stealth option somewhere. ;-)

Ahh, misread, sorry. :-D
There was a thread recently about this...
See Daryl C. W. O'Shea's post on 2005-10-2 with the subject "RE: SA tags
above header info"

It's a typo according to him :-D Anyways, --max-children ( -m) is what
you are looking for.

James

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by Robert Blayzor <rb...@inoc.net>.
JamesDR wrote:
>>   I got a lot of this messages in my maillog.
>>
>> Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>> --max-clients setting, consider raising it
>> Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>> --max-clients setting, consider raising it
>> Oct  4 08:28:53 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached
>> --max-clients setting, consider raising it
>>

> Since you say your man page doesn't have it, I'll throw you a bone:
>
> -m number , --max-children=number

--max-children != --max-clients.  It's either a typo in the code or some
stealth option somewhere. ;-)

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Years of development: We finally got one to work.

Re: server reached --max-clients setting

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
radek.krejca@ceskedomeny.cz wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I got a lot of this messages in my maillog.
>
> Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it
> Oct  4 08:27:13 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it
> Oct  4 08:28:53 server spamd[482]: prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it
>
>   In man page for spamd I couldn't find option --max-clients setting,
>   where could be a problem?
>
>   I use 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD, p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0_2 compiled
>   from ports, qmail-1.03_4 from ports, clamav-0.87 and
>   qmail-scanner-1.25_1 from ports too.

Since you say your man page doesn't have it, I'll throw you a bone:

-m number , --max-children=number
     This option specifies the maximum number of children to spawn.
     Spamd will spawn that number of children, then sleep in the back-
     ground until a child dies, wherein it will go and spawn a new
     child.

     Incoming connections can still occur if all of the children are
     busy, however those connections will be queued waiting for a free
     child.  The minimum value is 1, the default value is 5.

     Please note that there is a OS specific maximum of connections
     that can be queued (Try "perl -MSocket -eâprint SOMAXCONNâ" to
     find this maximum).

     Note that if you run too many servers for the amount of free RAM
     available, you run the danger of hurting performance by causing a
     high swap load as server processes are swapped in and out continu-
     ally.

--min-children=number
     The minimum number of children that will be kept running.  The
     minimum value is 1, the default value is 1.  If you have lots of
     free RAM, you may want to increase this.

--min-spare=number
     The lower limit for the number of spare children allowed to run.
     A spare, or idle, child is one that is not handling a scan
     request.   If there are too few spare children available, a new
     server will be started every second or so.  The default value is
     1.

--max-spare=number
     The upper limit for the number of spare children allowed to run.
     If there are too many spare children, one will be killed every
     second or so until the number of idle children is in the desired
     range.  The default value is 2.

--max-conn-per-child=number
     This option specifies the maximum number of connections each child
     should process before dying and letting the master spamd process
     spawn a new child.  The minimum value is 1, the default value is
     200.

There's the cl flags for the children stuff.
James