Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Vlad Rozov <v....@datatorrent.com> on 2016/02/01 18:19:41 UTC

Hosting IDE's code style template vote

Hi,

Here is a link to Cassandra code style wiki page
https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CodeStyle. Should we follow the same
approach and host IDE's code style settings outside of scm? What I
definitely like about Cassandra approach is a clear documentation on the
code style in use (and I guess that Cassandra is not the only project
that provides such level of details on code style). We provide the
definition file and IDE's template, that are good for tools, but not
developers.

One downside of hosting code style IDE's templates outside of scm is
possibility for some adjustment to code style definition. At the same
time scm provides only a way to keep code style definitions in sync, but
does not guarantee that every time code style changes, IDE's templates
are adjusted as well.

Creating IDE settings jar during the Apex build is my least favorable
approach. We don't want those .jars to be built each time Apex builds,
so it needs to be a separate step that needs to be explicitly invoked,
so it will require documentation how to enable building IDE's template
during maven build. As this is just one time import into IDE, hosting
ready to use files on apex.incubating.apache.org is more attractive to
me if scm is not an option.

Please vote:

1. Host IDE's template on apex.incubating.apache.org
2. Build as part of Apex maven build
3. Host ready to use .jar files inside scm and exclude them from the
source release (not a general practice for Apache projects).
4. Other suggestions?

Vlad

Re: Hosting IDE's code style template vote

Posted by Shubham Pathak <sh...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 to attach files to page on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/APEX/

Thanks,
Shubham

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 on hosting on apex.incubator,apache.org

Thks
Amol

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.
1 looks like a good option.

Ram

Posted by Sandeep Deshmukh <sa...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 on to "Host IDE's template on apex.incubating.apache.org"

Regards,
Sandeep