Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Oliver Schleicher <ol...@software-objects.com> on 2005/02/28 11:39:26 UTC

MyFaces & Struts

Hello,

There have been several threads in this group concerning integration of
MyFaces and Struts. As far as i can see, there has been consent that
there are still open issues that prevent the two from working smoothly
together. I have tried to use MyFaces with Struts and got the "could not
find pathMapping for servletPath ..." error that others have encountered
before.
I'm very new to web applications (i.e. to Struts, JSF, struts-faces,
MyFaces etc.) and this is all very confusing to me...
My question is: Is there a solution to get MyFaces and Struts to work
together? Is there a "recipe" to follow to achieve this relatively easy?

Thank you for your help,
Oliver
auf Viren untersucht.
Der Schutz des Firmennetzwerks von Software Objects vor Viren und
anderer Malware wird stets aktualisiert und auf dem Stand der Technik
gehalten. Dennoch koennen wir nicht gewaehrleisten, dass diese E-Mail
frei von Viren oder sonstiger Malware ist.

Re: MyFaces & Struts

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> My thoughts exactly.  Strtus-faces is really meant to help people who
> already have a significant investment in Struts.   I'm a big fan of
> Struts but I am increasingly becoming comfortable with JSF and if I
> were to start a new project, I would just go with JSF.  People
> disagree about JSF vs. Struts but most people will tell you not mix
> the two if you can avoid it.
>
> Even if the two technologies complemented each other, if you are new
> to things, I would argue that its easier to focus on one major
> technology at a time.  For instance, I am new to JSF and Hibernate but
> apparently a lot of people like to use them together.  I'm focusing on
> JSF for now and will take a look at Hibernate later.

Amen to that, I also made the experience in the past, if you mix too
many new techs together at one time you call for trouble even if they
complement each other very well.

I mixed JSF Spring and Hibernate together in one project with JSF and
Spring being the two new constants to the mix.

After the second project with this mix, things become fast, but if I had
to do it again, I probably would have introduced one new tech per project.
The main problem was that there were too many APIs introduced although
Spring had its merits and is really good, it is also an extra learning
curve, which you might try to avoid.
Although Spring is less critical in that regard than JSF, because you
can use small subparts of spring and introduce other stuff later.

Re: MyFaces & Struts

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
My thoughts exactly.  Strtus-faces is really meant to help people who
already have a significant investment in Struts.   I'm a big fan of
Struts but I am increasingly becoming comfortable with JSF and if I
were to start a new project, I would just go with JSF.  People
disagree about JSF vs. Struts but most people will tell you not mix
the two if you can avoid it.

Even if the two technologies complemented each other, if you are new
to things, I would argue that its easier to focus on one major
technology at a time.  For instance, I am new to JSF and Hibernate but
apparently a lot of people like to use them together.  I'm focusing on
JSF for now and will take a look at Hibernate later.

sean

MyFaces and mobile content delivery

Posted by Michael Hartmann <mh...@eyeloop.net>.
Hello,
I was very happy to find through www.theserverside.com that Jiri Zaloudek,
had implemented a WML rendering kit for JSF. I'm currently researching the
possible integration between JSF and the multi channel approach of
delivering content to mobile devices. In particular I am looking into
integrating XHTML, SVG, XForms and device profile information (UAProf and
WURFL) into JSF.

I can't seem to find anybody though Google who are currently addressing the
issue except eXo
http://www.theserverside.com/tss?service=direct/0/NewsThread/threadViewer.ma
rkNoisy.link&sp=l28348&sp=l136261
but they are commercial and not opensource.

Therefore my plan is to make up for this and start out by implementing a
rendering kit for XHTML Basic and later on XHTML-MP (An extension to XHTML
Basic with Wireless CSS and a few more tags).
Later the plan is to integrate intelligent rendering (HTML 4.01, XHTML Basic
or XHTML-MP) based on User agents profiles by using WURFL
(http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/)

I would like to contribute the fruit of my labour to the MyFaces
implementation but as this is my first time to contribute to an open source
project any tips, ideas, critique, etc. would be much appreciated.

I'm always open to a discussion on the issue.

Venlig Hilsen \ Kind Regards,
Michael Hartmann

Re: MyFaces & Struts

Posted by Dave Sag <ds...@visualitylife.com>.