Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gerard Isdell <ge...@kinetic.co.uk> on 2004/06/01 12:59:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Error logs showing status 304 for images. Why?

Hi there.

Some visitors to my website are complaining that sometimes they can't see
images on the site.  I've looked in the error logs and found lots of GETs of
images with a status code of 304 e.g.

80.41.236.203 - - [27/May/2004:21:20:24 +0000] "GET
/members/photos/alexpic3.jpg HTTP/1.1" 304 - "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
 MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; generic_01_01)"

As far as I can make out, this is an issue in which the server responds with
the 304 code, essentially saying the image hasn't been modified, and telling
the browser to use the version in it's cache.

I've asked users to clear their browser cache and its hasn't helped.

I've added the following to my html pages but am not sure if this wil be
applied to the images on the page as well.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE, must-revalidate">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

Does anyone know what I can do to fx this?

Many thanks.
Gerard

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender immediately and do not use, store or disclose their contents.
Any views expressed are those of the individual sender and not of Kinetic
Information System Services Limited unless otherwise stated.

                           www.kinetic.co.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Error logs showing status 304 for images. Why?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Gerard Isdell wrote:
> Some visitors to my website are complaining that sometimes they can't see
> images on the site.  I've looked in the error logs and found lots of GETs of
> images with a status code of 304 e.g.
>
> 80.41.236.203 - - [27/May/2004:21:20:24 +0000] "GET
> /members/photos/alexpic3.jpg HTTP/1.1" 304 - "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
> MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; generic_01_01)"
>
> As far as I can make out, this is an issue in which the server responds with
> the 304 code, essentially saying the image hasn't been modified, and telling
> the browser to use the version in it's cache.

The 304 status code is perfectly normal, so you need to look a little
deeper.  What exact problem are you seeing?  Have you examined exactly the
headers that are being sent in the HTTP request and response?  If you
"touch" the file (to make the server think it changed) can the client get
the image?

Joshua.