Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Juergen Sachs <ju...@gmx.de> on 2007/03/18 18:10:57 UTC

svnserver and windows passwords

Hi there,

we use subversion now for over 1 and a half year in out company along with
tortoiseSVN and are very happy with it. Thanks to all for providing this
great software !!!!!

In our company we run svnserve on a win2003. Our admins refused to install
apache for svn, since they don't know much about it and because of resource
concern of the server.

But what we realy miss to use the windows passwords for subversion. We use the
same names for our developers as for the windows login.
So is there already a way to auth a user using svnserve using his windows
password ?

Currently it is a hassle to keep them their second password for svn.

Again we can not use apache which would support this.

Thanks for your help.

Re: svnserver and windows passwords

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 18, 2007, at 14:50, Juergen Sachs wrote:

>>> In our company we run svnserve on a win2003. Our admins refused to
>>> install apache for svn, since they don't know much about it and
>>> because
>>> of resource concern of the server.
>>>
>>> But what we realy miss to use the windows passwords for
>>> subversion. We
>>> use the same names for our developers as for the windows login.
>>> So is there already a way to auth a user using svnserve using his
>>> windows
>>> password ?
>>>
>>> Currently it is a hassle to keep them their second password for svn.
>>>
>>> Again we can not use apache which would support this.
>>
>> Correction - your admins don't want to be bothered using Apache. They
>> shouldn't be living in a vacuum - if there's something that will
>> achieve the organization's goals and needs, they should be supporting
>> it unless there's a good business case against it.  Just my opinion
>> though.
>>
>> Really, Apache is the best way to achieve what you're looking to do.
>> "Don't know much about it" is simply willful ignorance, which is
>> easily overcome by spending a couple hours reading httpd.apache.org.
>> If server resources are a concern, then perhaps you need to run a
>> dedicated server for Subversion. But I don't think it'll add that
>> much
>> overhead to the server - unless it's already overloaded.
>
> Either way. They don't want to do it, or I have to do it, like I
> have to do
> with the subversion service already (with theire help of course).
> But thats
> an easy job until now :-) A few updates, checking that backups are
> running.
> SVN is very stable !
>
> But I think more of a way, that we can set up a special option in
> the "passwd"
> file like "auth=os" and subversion will only check if the user is
> allowed
> using its config files, but verifies passwords using the os. Since
> every user
> has the possability to auth on this server, this should be easy.
>
> But I guess also the client must support this, so he provides the
> correct
> encoded password ?! Otherwiese it should be a "small" change to the
> svnserve.
> If this option is found in the config file, svnserve tries to auth
> using the
> os, with the given user name.
>
> If I ha dmore time I would look into this, but.......

I feel fairly confident pointing out that it would take much less of
your time to learn how to set up apache2 and mod_dav_svn than to
program a new authentication scheme into svnserve. ;-)

Re: svnserver and windows passwords

Posted by Juergen Sachs <ju...@gmx.de>.
Am Sonntag, 18. März 2007 19:50 schrieb Andy Levy:
[...]

Juergen

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juergen Sachs <ju...@gmx.de>.
Am Montag, 19. März 2007 03:22 schrieb si:
I hoped there would be an easier way.
Since I have almost no time at work, I think I am stuck. I can only test such
things @ work, since I do not have windows system here, at least no server
(and I do not miss it)

So, I have to wait if someone else find time to make a change to svnserve :-)

Greetings
Juergen

Posted by Tobias Schäfer <to...@gmx.de>.
On Monday 19 March 2007 03:22, si wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> > So is there already a way to auth a user using svnserve using his
> > windows password ?
>
> I started some experimentation last year using svn+ssh in conjunction
> with http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.
>
> I got this working under a vmware virtual network using a trial edition,
> but I couldn't find a way of removing the dos box that pops up, so it's
> a bit ugly when using with TortoiseSVN.

If you use TortoisePlink instead of plink you will not see the dos box, see
http://tortoisesvn.net/node/28

Tobias

--
       ___