Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com> on 2009/12/20 04:36:38 UTC

ABORT Re: PROPOSED: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.0-rc1.proposed1

On 12/18/2009 08:57 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
> This will be released if we go three days without an objection as per build/README procedure.  At that point these archives will be renamed to "rc1" and the announcements will go out.  Please suggest improvements to this announcement text as well.
>
> Hey users list, now would be a very good time to begin testing 3.3.0 if you haven't already.  At this point it has been tested in production on many production servers (including my own production server since March 2009), but it is possible we missed a corner case of some non-standard configuration that you folks rely upon.  We could use your feedback, even if it is only "It works!"  Now is last chance to complain if you find a problem.
>
> All of the Priority P1 blocker bugs targeted for 3.3.0 are now closed.  I suspect there might be a few minor things we might want to polish before 3.3.0 final, but otherwise this is VERY CLOSE to what 3.3.0 will be.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami@redhat.com

I am aborting the release of rc1.proposed1.  There is some problem
causing spamc/spamd to fail completely.  I am attempting to figure this
out a possible cause.  Downgrading to beta1 seems to fix my server.

Warren

Re: ABORT Re: PROPOSED: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.0-rc1.proposed1

Posted by Jens Schleusener <Je...@t-systems-sfr.com>.
Hi Warren,

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Warren Togami wrote:

> On 12/18/2009 08:57 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
>> This will be released if we go three days without an objection as per build/README procedure.  At that point these archives will be renamed to "rc1" and the announcements will go out.  Please suggest improvements to this announcement text as well.
>>
>> Hey users list, now would be a very good time to begin testing 3.3.0 if you haven't already.  At this point it has been tested in production on many production servers (including my own production server since March 2009), but it is possible we missed a corner case of some non-standard configuration that you folks rely upon.  We could use your feedback, even if it is only "It works!"  Now is last chance to complain if you find a problem.
>>
>> All of the Priority P1 blocker bugs targeted for 3.3.0 are now closed.  I suspect there might be a few minor things we might want to polish before 3.3.0 final, but otherwise this is VERY CLOSE to what 3.3.0 will be.
>>
>> Warren Togami
>> wtogami@redhat.com
>>

> I am aborting the release of rc1.proposed1.  There is some problem
> causing spamc/spamd to fail completely.  I am attempting to figure this
> out a possible cause.  Downgrading to beta1 seems to fix my server.

Good news: The new spamc.c (27863 Bytes) from trunk (rev. 892869) solved
that problem (at least for me under openSUSE 11.1). Now mails are
processed again using spamc/spamd.

Jens

Re: ABORT PROPOSED: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.0-rc1.proposed1

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On Sunday December 20 2009 15:31:19 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Maybe a suggestion for the section COMPATIBILITY WITH 3.2.5.
> Mention that the FreeMail plugin is now included, so needs to be removed
> from older config. It's mentioned as a new plugin in the middle of the
> release notes, but as this plugin has been in wide-spread use as an
> external for quite a while it may be worth it to mention it explicitely.
> Also in the UPGRADE file.

Done, thanks for pointing it out:

| 3.3.0-rc1.txt: (in COMPATIBILITY section) mention a need for
| removing a local copy of plugins FreeMail, PhishTag, Reuse,
| which are now distributed with a package; mention a need
| to load AWL plugin in order to continue using it;
|   Sending build/announcements/3.3.0-rc1.txt
|   Committed revision 893143.

Mark

Re: ABORT PROPOSED: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.0-rc1.proposed1

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Warren, for the next releases until RTM, can we keep the spamassassin.spec
at real_version 3.0.0 instead of adding the release type? I usually do a
full make and make test run, but then build an rpm and install that. If
the real_version contains non-digits other than a dot that fails, so each
time I have to unpack, replace the spec file and repack the tar.gz before
I can build it.

As for operation. I have been running the last beta and this proposed RC1
for a few days on one of my machines under control of MailScanner and have
not found any problems. I also tested sa-learn --backup.

Maybe a suggestion for the section COMPATIBILITY WITH 3.2.5.
Mention that the FreeMail plugin is now included, so needs to be removed
from older config. It's mentioned as a new plugin in the middle of the
release notes, but as this plugin has been in wide-spread use as an
external for quite a while it may be worth it to mention it explicitely.
Also in the UPGRADE file.

*Thanks for a great product!*

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: ABORT Re: PROPOSED: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.0-rc1.proposed1

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 12/19/2009 10:36 PM, Warren Togami wrote:

> I am aborting the release of rc1.proposed1. There is some problem
> causing spamc/spamd to fail completely. I am attempting to figure this
> out a possible cause. Downgrading to beta1 seems to fix my server.
>
> Warren

[warren@newcaprica trunk]$ cat sample-nonspam.txt |spamc
[warren@newcaprica trunk]$ echo $?
0

spamd -D sees no connection attempt from spamc.  It seems that spamc is
broken?  I am attempting to backout parts between beta1 and rc1 to
narrow this down.

Reproduced on ...
perl-5.8.8-27.el5.x86_64
perl-5.10.0-82.fc12.x86_64

Since spamc was returning with a zero return value and blank, all of the
legitimate mail goes into a blackhole. =(

Warren