Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Gábor Gévay <gg...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/17 17:53:52 UTC

Failing tests on Windows

Hello!

I tried to setup a development environment on Windows, but several
tests are failing:

1. The setWritable problem. This will be worked around by [1]

2. The tryCleanupOnError before close problem [2]. This could be
half-fixed by doing fixing 2. in the comment I wrote there, but I
think that would still leave the problem open in the FileSinkFunction.
Should I open a PR for this?

3. CsvOutputFormatITCase fails with about 30% chance with
java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file:
C:\Users\Gabor\AppData\Local\Temp\org.apache.flink.streaming.api.outputformat.CsvOutputFormatITCase-result\1
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:2279)
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.cleanDirectory(FileUtils.java:1653)
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.deleteDirectory(FileUtils.java:1535)
at org.apache.flink.test.util.TestBaseUtils.deleteRecursively(TestBaseUtils.java:508)
at org.apache.flink.test.util.AbstractTestBase.deleteAllTempFiles(AbstractTestBase.java:141)
at org.apache.flink.test.util.AbstractTestBase.stopCluster(AbstractTestBase.java:69)
at org.apache.flink.streaming.util.StreamingProgramTestBase.testJobWithoutObjectReuse(StreamingProgramTestBase.java:118)
<23 internal calls>

I guess this is also some file closing issue.

Additionally, there are some more mysterious failures which are
happening only from Maven, and I can't reproduce them when running a
test from the IDE:

4. testFindConnectableAddress(org.apache.flink.runtime.net.NetUtilsTest)
 Time elapsed: 20.936 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: null
        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:86)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:41)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:52)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.net.NetUtilsTest.testFindConnectableAddress(NetUtilsTest.java:54)

It is interesting that it is not happening from the IDE, but I think
this is just because it gets less CPU time when some other tests are
running in parallel from Maven. It takes 2-4 s from the IDE under
Windows, but it takes consistently very close to 2 s under Linux.
Maybe the 8 sec timeout could be raised under Windows? (Or what do you
think about trying to connect from the multiple interfaces in
parallel? That is, parallelizing the outer loop in
findAddressUsingStrategy.)

5. testGroupByFeedback(org.apache.flink.streaming.api.IterateTest)
Time elapsed: 12.091 sec  <<< ERROR!
org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobExecutionException: Job execution failed.
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager$$anonfun$receiveWithLogMessages$1.applyOrElse(JobManager.scala:314)
        at scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply$mcVL$sp(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)
        at scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)
        at scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:25)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.testingUtils.TestingJobManager$$anonfun$receiveTestingMessages$1.applyOrElse(TestingJobManager.scala:169)
        at scala.PartialFunction$OrElse.apply(PartialFunction.scala:162)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.ActorLogMessages$$anon$1.apply(ActorLogMessages.scala:36)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.ActorLogMessages$$anon$1.apply(ActorLogMessages.scala:29)
        at scala.PartialFunction$class.applyOrElse(PartialFunction.scala:118)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.ActorLogMessages$$anon$1.applyOrElse(ActorLogMessages.scala:29)
        at akka.actor.Actor$class.aroundReceive(Actor.scala:465)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmanager.JobManager.aroundReceive(JobManager.scala:93)
        at akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:516)
        at akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:487)
        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:254)
        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:221)
        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:231)
        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)
        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)
        at scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)
Caused by: java.lang.AssertionError: null
        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:86)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:41)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:52)
        at org.apache.flink.streaming.api.IterateTest$6.close(IterateTest.java:447)
        at org.apache.flink.api.common.functions.util.FunctionUtils.closeFunction(FunctionUtils.java:40)
        at org.apache.flink.streaming.api.operators.AbstractUdfStreamOperator.close(AbstractUdfStreamOperator.java:75)
        at org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.closeOperator(StreamTask.java:182)
        at org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.OneInputStreamTask.invoke(OneInputStreamTask.java:112)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task.run(Task.java:577)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I have no idea what goes wrong here.

6. complexIntegrationTest1(org.apache.flink.streaming.api.complex.ComplexIntegrationTest)
 Time elapsed: 15.989 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Different number of lines in expected and
obtained result. expected:<9> but was:<5>
        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
        at org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:743)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:118)
        at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:555)
        at org.apache.flink.test.util.TestBaseUtils.compareResultsByLinesInMemory(TestBaseUtils.java:272)
        at org.apache.flink.test.util.TestBaseUtils.compareResultsByLinesInMemory(TestBaseUtils.java:258)
        at org.apache.flink.streaming.api.complex.ComplexIntegrationTest.after(ComplexIntegrationTest.java:91)

This is only happening with a chance of about 30%. There is one thing
in the code of this test which is a little suspicios to me: all tests
are using the same 'resultPath' and 'expected' variables. Can it not
happen that Maven runs these tests in the same jvm, and thus they step
on each others feet?

Should I open jiras for the last four problems?

Best regards,
Gabor

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/919

Re: Failing tests on Windows

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Thank you, we'll try to address these issues soon...

Re: Failing tests on Windows

Posted by Gábor Gévay <gg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Failing tests on Windows

Posted by Sachin Goel <sa...@gmail.com>.
Since the failing tests on windows have come up again, I did find some
failing tests when the community was testing the release candidates for
0.9.0 release.
Here is one of the log outputs: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=VWbx2ppf
These errors are on running mvn clean verify. Following were the failing
tests:

[...]

Most of these again seem related to file system permissions and time out
errors. Please see if any changes you make fix these too. It is unlikely
the final release had these fixed, because no fixes were explicitly filed
for these. If you wish, file JIRAs for these too, in case these still
persist.
Further, since the build stops at flink-runtime, I can't be sure if any
further tests wouldn't fail. I can try verify commands again 0nce there are
fixes for these.

Cheers!
Sachin

-- Sachin Goel