Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@apache.org> on 2019/04/05 18:53:54 UTC

[Announce] Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released

   Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released

   The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache Portable Runtime
   Project are proud to announce the General Availability of version
   1.7.0 of the Apache Portable Runtime library (APR). Version 1.6.1
   of the APR Utility library (APR-util) and version 1.2.2 of the
   APR iconv library (APR-iconv) remain current.

   There are a number of specific changes in how APR is deployed
   and how APR-util deals with external dependencies in these current
   releases, which may be disruptive to existing build strategies:

    - The typical cross-process locking stragegy now defaults to
      a pthreads lock which will not leak on abnormal process termination,
      as opposed to the earlier sysv semaphore locking strategy.
      This should result in fewer orphaned locks in misbehaving
      applications.

    - Netware users should be aware that APR mis-defined the entity
      representing an "os mutex", and it was missing a level of
      indirection. The new definition should allow the use of the
      apr_os_proc_mutex_get/_put API's on the Netware platform but
      requires a rebuild against the APR 1.7.0 or later library.

    - Expat sources are no longer bundled, this is now an external
      dependency. Install libexpat runtime (usually installed by
      default) and development packages using your system's package
      manager, or from <https://libexpat.github.io/>.

    - MySQL support is updated as advised by the MySQL developers.
      MySQL versions older than 5.5 should not be used. If you do
      use an old MySQL version, use the thread-safe libmysqlclient_r
      version of the library.

    - FreeTDS partial and incomplete support has been dropped.
      Users of MSSQL and SYBASE databases are recommended to use
      the ODBC driver instead.

   APR 1.7.0, APR-util 1.6.1, and APR-iconv 1.2.2 fix a number
   of security vulnerabilities, run-time and build-time issues.
   For details, see;

     http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/CHANGES-APR-1.7
     http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/CHANGES-APR-UTIL-1.6
     http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/CHANGES-APR-ICONV-1.2

   APR, APR-util and APR-iconv are available for download from:

     http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi

   The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime Project is to create
   and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
   consistent interface to underlying platform-specific
   implementations. The primary goal is to provide an API to
   which software developers may code and be assured of predictable
   if not identical behavior regardless of the platform on which
   their software is built. We list all known projects using APR
   at http://apr.apache.org/projects.html - so please let us know
   if you find our libraries useful in your own projects!

Re: [Announce] Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM Dennis Clarke <dc...@blastwave.org> wrote:

> On 4/6/19 10:47 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 4:03 PM Nick Kew <niq@apache.org
> > <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     > On 5 Apr 2019, at 19:53, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@apache.org
> >     <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >    Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released
> >     >
> >     >    The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache Portable Runtime
> >     >    Project are proud to announce the General Availability of
> version
> >     >    1.7.0 of the Apache Portable Runtime library (APR). Version
> 1.6.1
> >     >    of the APR Utility library (APR-util) and version 1.2.2 of the
> >     >    APR iconv library (APR-iconv) remain current.
> >
> >     Thanks, Bill.
> >
> >     Just a quick note.  Some of the announcement (expat, MySQL and
> FreeTDS)
> >     relate not to this APR, but to APR-UTIL updates which are not part
> >     of this release.
> >

> > I'm aware. There is also the problem of our release tracking, we have
> > nothing
> > but apr versions there. I understood there is a mass-export-import
> > facility which
> > I'll look into, but basically "1.7.0" and prior all need to become
> > "apr-1.7.0" etc,
> > and then we need to import all the historical apr-util-* apr-iconv-*
> sets.
> >
> > Before the next release, we aught to split Announcement-x.x.x into
> distinct
> > files for the apr, apr-util and apr-iconv groups. As of 2.0.0 these all
> > merge up,
> > but in the interim...
> >

> >     I know you're keen to get an APR-UTIL update released reasonably
> >     soon, and I
> >     promise to tackle at least the XML issues I've been working on when
> >     I get back home -
> >     which I anticipate being second half of next week.  We also have
> >     some further
> >     MySQL updates from an external contributor, which I hope to find
> >     time to review
> >     in time for APR-UTIL 1.7.
> >

> > I was hoping that we could find a 6-12 week window for publishing the
> > next release.
>
> At least two months would be good. However Apache foo is a *major* piece
> of the planetary software ecosystem possibly more so than ISC software.
> So a quarterly schedule ( 3 months ) may be more reasonable.
>
> > Since I started thinking about it, I'm wondering whether we should push
> > towards apr-util-1.7.0, or just get to apr-2.0.0 already. Other thoughts
> > or observations?
>
> Neither at this time.

It will certainly be at least apr-util 1.7.0, or perhaps apr-2.0.0 which
rolls all of the functionality of the -util library into the apr core. There
have been a number of enhancements over the past year, present
on both branches, which committers are patiently waiting for release.

A cadence, in this case, is of no concern. In terms of maintenance
updates, 1.7.1 releases, I agree a periodic (3 mos or similar) refresh
cycle is helpful, when significant fixes are present and awaiting release.

Re: [Announce] Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released

Posted by Dennis Clarke <dc...@blastwave.org>.
On 4/6/19 10:47 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 4:03 PM Nick Kew <niq@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>

>     > On 5 Apr 2019, at 19:53, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@apache.org
>     <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     >    Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released
>     >
>     >    The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache Portable Runtime
>     >    Project are proud to announce the General Availability of version
>     >    1.7.0 of the Apache Portable Runtime library (APR). Version 1.6.1
>     >    of the APR Utility library (APR-util) and version 1.2.2 of the
>     >    APR iconv library (APR-iconv) remain current.
>
>     Thanks, Bill.
>
>     Just a quick note.  Some of the announcement (expat, MySQL and FreeTDS)
>     relate not to this APR, but to APR-UTIL updates which are not part
>     of this release.
>

> I'm aware. There is also the problem of our release tracking, we have
> nothing
> but apr versions there. I understood there is a mass-export-import
> facility which
> I'll look into, but basically "1.7.0" and prior all need to become
> "apr-1.7.0" etc,
> and then we need to import all the historical apr-util-* apr-iconv-* sets.
>
> Before the next release, we aught to split Announcement-x.x.x into distinct
> files for the apr, apr-util and apr-iconv groups. As of 2.0.0 these all
> merge up,
> but in the interim...
>

>     I know you're keen to get an APR-UTIL update released reasonably
>     soon, and I
>     promise to tackle at least the XML issues I've been working on when
>     I get back home -
>     which I anticipate being second half of next week.  We also have
>     some further
>     MySQL updates from an external contributor, which I hope to find
>     time to review
>     in time for APR-UTIL 1.7.
>

> I was hoping that we could find a 6-12 week window for publishing the
> next release.

At least two months would be good. However Apache foo is a *major* piece
of the planetary software ecosystem possibly more so than ISC software.
So a quarterly schedule ( 3 months ) may be more reasonable.

> Since I started thinking about it, I'm wondering whether we should push
> towards apr-util-1.7.0, or just get to apr-2.0.0 already. Other thoughts
> or observations?

Neither at this time.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC

Re: [Announce] Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.