Posted to commits@jclouds.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2014/11/14 00:07:59 UTC

[Jclouds Wiki] Update of "How to Contribute" by EverettToews

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jclouds Wiki" for change notification.

The "How to Contribute" page has been changed by EverettToews:
https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/How%20to%20Contribute?action=diff&rev1=15&rev2=16

Comment:
Added best practices section

  If it's your first contribution or it's a particularly big/complex contribution, things typically go much more smoothly when they start off with a conversation. Visit our [[http://jclouds.apache.org/community/|Community]] page to see how you can contact us via IRC or email.

+ === 1. Review our best practices ===
+
+ Read [[https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Best%20Practices|Best Practices]]. jclouds has been developed over many years and naturally things have been done differently at different times by different people. It's hard to know what the current best practice is. If you don't read through our best practices, you might wind up having to redo a significant portion of your PR because you based it on an older way of doing things. You're also welcome to add to the best practices yourself as you discover them.
+
- === 1. Create an issue in JIRA ===
+ === 2. Create an issue in JIRA ===

  Your first step is to create or find an issue in [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS|JIRA]] for your feature request or fix.  If it's a simple cleanup, this isn't necessary, but it's good to see if your change fixes an existing issue anyway.  If it's a formatting issue alone, consider creating an issue for us to fix our checkstyle configuration to catch it in the future.

- === 2. Create a pull request in GitHub ===
+ === 3. Create a pull request in GitHub ===

  Next, you'll want to create a pull request (PR) in !GitHub for the change you're interested in making. The comment section of the PR must contain a link to the JIRA issue (if it has one). Please also reference the issue [[https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=jclouds.git;a=commit;h=ff3405c967b9fd6701fa39c6bb57d0308dd6e1e6|in the commit message]], and make sure it properly describes the changes that have been made and their purpose ([[http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html|here]] are some guidelines). If you need the commit backported to one of the release branches (e.g. 1.6.x), make a note about that in the comment too and set the Affects Version/s of the issue accordingly.

@@ -31, +35 @@

   * [[https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests|Submitting Pull Requests]]
   * [[https://help.github.com/articles/interactive-rebase|Rebasing your Branch]]

- === 3. Comment the issue in JIRA ===
+ === 4. Comment the issue in JIRA ===

  Finally, add a comment in the JIRA issue with a link to the pull request so we know the code is ready to be reviewed.