Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org> on 2022/06/13 05:35:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShenYu(Incubating) as Apache TLP

Dear Apache Incubator Community,

Apache ShenYu has been incubating since 2021-05-03. For over a year, the
Apache ShenYu community has made great progress and grown rapidly under the
guidance of our mentors. We believe the Apache ShenYu project has met the
conditions for graduation. Summary statistics on the state of the
community are listed below. Please feel free to participate in the
discussion and give more feedback.

The Apache ShenYu community has a discussion thread [1], passed the
community vote
[2], and the vote result is published [3]. Our assessment is that Apache
ShenYu(Incubating) is ready to graduate as a Apache TLP. We would like to raise
the discussion to IPMC and collect more feedback towards graduation.

** Community **

    - 6 new PPMC members were added, bringing the total number of PPMC
members to 30 from at least 15+ different organizations.

    - 7 new Committers were added, bringing the total number of Committers 37.

    - 110+ new contributors participate in the community. The number
of contributors is now 274 and growing.

and all major project discussions are happening in the dev@shenyu.a.o.

    - 26 Bi-weekly online meetings were held between committers,
contributors and users. The meeting minutes are recorded on the
mailing list [4].

    - 1100+ pull requests merged [5], and 700+ issues closed [6] after
into the apache incubator.

** Project **

    - 4 releases by 4 release managers.

    - ShenYu official website [7] is compliant with Apache Foundation
requirements [8].

    - Project maturity model is detailed in [9].

    - See ShenYu Project Incubation Status [10] for more info.

** Brands ,License, and Copyright **

    - We submitted an application for the brand[11] and it has been
reviewed and approved.
    - Apache ShenYu community maintains project code on GitHub, and all modules
code is under Apache 2.0 license. We have reviewed all the
dependencies and ensured they do not bring any license issues [12]. All
the status files, license headers, and copyright are up to date.

** PMC members **

   - Please see the proposed board resolution below and let us know what you
think. The initial PMC members were passed by the discussion and invitation
[13].

The discussion will remain open for at least 72 hours, looking forward to
your feedback.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/lc1xr9gjf1t2lbk8070thf1bgt3sq1v3
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/0fo3f3whl7bb5r7bhoh85czlgjdn7rog
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/jdh2dcs4qd97t1mjjl8hp62sso470wc7
[4] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@shenyu.apache.org
[5] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu/pulls?q=is%3Apr+merged%3A%3E%3D2021-05-03+
[6] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+closed%3A%3E2021-05-03
[7] https://shenyu.incubator.apache.org/
[8] https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/shenyu
[9] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu/blob/master/MATURITY.md
[10] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/shenyu.html
[11] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-197
[12] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu/blob/master/LICENSE
[13] https://lists.apache.org/thread/gp1bnjflz7ysgopxk515l9clswgrvnko

Establish the Apache ShenYu Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to Apache ShenYu is a high performance Microservices API gateway
in Java ecosystem, compatible with a variety of mainstream framework
systems, supports hot plug. Users can write their own plugin meet the
current requirement and future needs in a variety of scenarios,
especially in large-scale scenes.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache ShenYu Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache ShenYu Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to Apache ShenYu
is a high performance Microservices API gateway in Java ecosystem,
compatible with a variety of mainstream framework systems, supports
hot plug. Users can write their own plugin meet the current requirement
and future needs in a variety of scenarios, especially in large-scale
scenes; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache ShenYu" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache ShenYu
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache ShenYu
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache ShenYu
Project:

* Ning Jiang  (ningjiang@apache.org)
* Atri Sharma (atri@apache.org)
* Duo Zhang (zhangduo@apache.org)
* Jincheng Sun (jincheng@apache.org)
* Justin Mclean (jmclean@apache.org)
* Kevin Ratnasekera (djkevincr@apache.org)
* Yu Xiao (xiaoyu@apache.org)
* Yonglun Zhang (zhangyonglun@apache.org)
* Liming Deng (dengliming@apache.org)
* Asxing (asxing@apache.org)
* Congqi Zhu (qicz@apache.org)
* JianMing Ding (nuoyan@apache.org)
* Kunshuai Zhu (jooks@apache.org)
* Lei Zhang (sabersola@apache.org)
* Liang Liu (midnight2104@apache.org)
* MingJie Song (kevinclair@apache.org)
* Tang Yudong (tydhot@apache.org)
* Wei Liu (lw1243925457@apache.org)
* Yi Liu (yui@apache.org)
* Zhenbing Feng (fengzhenbing@apache.org)
* SiYing Zheng (impactcn@apache.org)
* ZiCheng Zhang (zhangzicheng@apache.org)
* Keguo Li (likeguo@apache.org)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Yu Xiao be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache ShenYu, to serve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Apache ShenYu Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator ShenYu
podling; and be it further

Incubator ShenYu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are
hereafter discharged.

--
Best wishes!
Xiao Yu

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShenYu(Incubating) as Apache TLP

Posted by XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback.

This discussion is closed and I will initiate the vote process.

Best wishes!

XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org> 于2022年6月17日周五 09:03写道:

Posted by XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org>.

Posted by XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thank you for your feedback.

>  I noticed 5 releases mentioned on your website, not 4, does one of them predate Incubation?

We have released quite a few versions before entering the incubator.
After entering the Apache incubator and making a project rename,
we kept the soul 2.3.0 version document [1] on the website.
Do we need to delete it? After entering the incubator,
we released 4 versions and you can see them here [2].
There's no 2.3.0 version release. And the 2.3.0 document is marked
legacy now [3].

> These [1][2] could do with a bit more information about the project.

We update more information about the project[4][5].

> https://awesomeopensource.com/project/apache/incubator-shenyu

This is built by github information, and we provide pull request [6] to update
(This page will be updated when the regular update time comes).

Looking forward to your feedback.

[1] https://shenyu.apache.org/docs/2.3.0/index
[2] https://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/shenyu/
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu-website/pull/604
[4] https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/shenyu-bootstrap
[5] https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/shenyu-admin
[6] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu/pull/3568

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年6月16日周四 14:51写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1.
I can still remember the first time I met XiaoYu, he presented this
project to me 4 years ago.
It's great to see ShenYu is ready for graduation.

Good Luck!

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

This should be a graduation decision. It is up to the community.
I just suggest it to be shorter, and one sentence.

XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org>于2022年6月13日 周一18:46写道:

> Hi Sheng
>

> Thanks for the suggestion, maybe it is indeed too long,
>
> so i provide pull request[1], to optimize its description :
>
> > Apache ShenYu is a easily scalable, hot-swappable, dynamic full
> lifecycle JAVA API Gateway.
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-shenyu-website/pull/597
>
> looking forward to your feedback.
>
> Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2022年6月13日周一 17:22写道:
> >
> > > Apache ShenYu is a high performance Microservices API gateway
> > in Java ecosystem, compatible with a variety of mainstream framework
> > systems, supports hot plug. Users can write their own plugin meet the
> > current requirement and future needs in a variety of scenarios,
> > especially in large-scale scenes.
> >
> > This seems a very long sentence to describe the ShenYu, could PPMC
> provide
> > a shorter version? Usually, it is better to a short and clear sentence
> > about what it is doing. The features are definitely more than this.

> [...]
Sheng Wu 吴晟

Apache SkyWalking
Apache Incubator
Apache ShardingSphere, ECharts, DolphinScheduler podlings
Zipkin
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShenYu(Incubating) as Apache TLP

Posted by XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng

Posted by heng du <du...@apache.org>.
+1
good luck

Zhang Yonglun <zh...@apache.org> 于2022年6月13日周一 22:45写道:

Posted by Zhang Yonglun <zh...@apache.org>.
Thank you for the reminder.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
+1 ( binding ) I am happy to see the progress made on building community
around the project.

Posted by Zhang Yonglun <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eason Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> * Yi Liu (yui@apache.org)
> * Zhenbing Feng (fengzhenbing@apache.org)
> * SiYing Zheng (impactcn@apache.org)
> * ZiCheng Zhang (zhangzicheng@apache.org)
> * Keguo Li (likeguo@apache.org)
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Yu Xiao be appointed to
> the office of Vice President, Apache ShenYu, to serve in accordance
> with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
> Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache ShenYu Project be and hereby is tasked with
> the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator ShenYu
> podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator ShenYu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are

Atri
Apache Concerted

回复:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShenYu(Incubating) as Apache TLP

Posted by Liu Ted <te...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I seconded what Tison said. ShenYu is indeed exercising community-led development. 30 PPMC members across 15+ different organizations, amazing diveristy.
Best regards,

Ted Liu

  2022 年 6 月 13 日周一 14:37,tison<wa...@gmail.com> 写道:   Hi,

ShenYu is born to be open-source and the experience it grows the community
in both users perspective and developers perspective looks attractive.

Its diversity and maturity to make Apache release, as well as the behavior
of PPMC members are good fit in the Apache way.

I'm glad to see such a project become an Apache top level project.

Good luck.

Best,
tison.

XiaoYu <xi...@apache.org> 于2022年6月13日周一 13:35写道:

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by li gang <lg...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)
Good luck!

> [...]

> * Yi Liu (yui@apache.org)
> * Zhenbing Feng (fengzhenbing@apache.org)
> * SiYing Zheng (impactcn@apache.org)
> * ZiCheng Zhang (zhangzicheng@apache.org)
> * Keguo Li (likeguo@apache.org)
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Yu Xiao be appointed to
> the office of Vice President, Apache ShenYu, to serve in accordance
> with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
> Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache ShenYu Project be and hereby is tasked with
> the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator ShenYu
> podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator ShenYu podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are

Best Regards

DolphinScheduler PMC
Gang Li 李岗

lgcareer@apache.org